AutoShrine Sponsor

Wont quit. Switch or wiring?
  This topic is about my 1978 MG Midget 1500
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Having a little problem with the brown car. I can start it up and it runs fine but I can't turn it off. The switch and the solnoid are both new. I can turn the switch off and even unhook it. The only way to kill it is to choke it out or pull the wire from the coil. The only other change I have made was putting a point distributor in it. Did I get a bad part or do I need to do some wiring work. Any ideas?

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
If those were the only things you changed, and it was fine before, then it could be a bad ignition switch, or you have connected wires together incorrectly.

- go through everything you have touched and make sure that same color wire is connected to same color wire, everywhere. There should not be any change of wire color at any connector.

- test your switch with an ohm meter or continuity tester, and make sure the power is turned on/off when you turn the key (there will be one common terminal, the one the brown wire is connected to, and the other terminals will consecutively get connected to it when you turn the key to each position).

N

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Josh, unplug the alternator and try again, see if it turns off .?? smileys with beer

Member Services:
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
A little update on this problem. Tested the switch and it functions correctly. Did notice that there was no tach and a blown fuse replaced the fuse and promptly blew. Not a pop but a steady heat up and melt. So I've got to do some work starting with a good looking over and cleaning. I suspect a small furry critter of some kind may have snacked on some wires somewhere.I am not sure one problem is releated to the other but this new one worries me a bit more so I'll fix it before going on. On the plus side I've had it running enough now to say it might be better engine wise then the blue car is.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster