AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bill132hotrod Avatar
bill132hotrod Bill m
Dartford, Kent, UK   GBR
Hi guys
I have just started to clean all the crap from the underside of my mg midget.
I know that I am going to change some of the panels such as door sills and side foot well panels.
below is a picture of the passenger side floor panel now in your expert eyes do you replace the complete floor pan or repair.
And if replacing is best, in what order would you replace the panels if you were fitting door sills, floor pans and side foot well panels.???????????

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3032.JPG    54.3 KB
IMG_3032.JPG

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
I vote replace mainly because getting the indention in a patch would be hard. If the whole panel is weak along that line you'll need to replace it anyway. Since it's part of what the door sill attaches to is it not? My order would be floor pan door sills foot well which is pretty much how I did mine. Of course I only had to fix the outer front corner of the sill. I would leave the sill attached till after the floor pan was tacked or welded in place (minus the sill area of course) to help keep everything in place.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

ChrisMadge Chris Madge
Bristol, SOUTH GLOUCESTER, UK   GBR
Under seal and paint can hide a lot of rust and pin holes. Its always worse than you think in my experience. I would remove it all before you decide on patch or full floor replacement. It looks like there has been some previous repairs too, check them out. My car had a lot of bodged welding.

Are you replacing both inner and outer sills ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bill132hotrod Avatar
bill132hotrod Bill m
Dartford, Kent, UK   GBR
Thanks guys
I am not sure yet as to how far to go I am quite a competent person and been a heavy goods vehicle mechanic all my life.
I have already got new sills to go on and a passenger side rear lower wing panel, plus a new rear panel and side footwell panels. Also got brand new front wings to go on That why asked which order to fit these panels.
I know about supporting the structure between the doors in case it distorts.
But it’s now looking like a bigger job.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster