Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ZetecMGB Avatar
ZetecMGB Gold Member Brian Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Hi everyone. My wife and I bought a Bugeye Sprite for our next project but I'm looking for some information about the wheels that came with the car. From what I can tell, they're Cosmic Mk1's. They appear to have sat in a garage for a very long time so the wheels are in great shape but I'll need to clean them up. I'd like to hang on to them (although my wife is not a huge fan) so any information on history, reputation, value would be greatly appreciated. Just looking for some insight as to what I have. Thanks!

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in performance car parts for classic British automobiles.

Attachments:
IMG_20180612_092635.jpg    34.2 KB
IMG_20180612_092635.jpg

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Brian, I don't know anything about the wheels, but if they are rough cast, I can suggest how to clean them. The spokes on my Libres are rough cast and after many years were looking kind of dingy. So, I took them off, and (after taping off the polished rim, which you don't have to worry about), used a portable soda blaster to clean the spokes. The soda didn't damage the metal but really cleaned them nicely - looked like new.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
They look sorta like factory Fiat wheels. Nice. Do what Jack suggests! I've also had success with Simple Green applied liberally and left to soak for several hours -- but I'm not sure if there is anything caustic that might harm your castings.

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Sorry for the drift, but one other cleaner - Eagle One Chrome and Wire Cleaner. This is very good stuff for chrome and rough metal, but not polished aluminum. Why is it so good - its a combination of 4 different acids! Very caustic stuff and may not even be on the market anymore. Spray it on, brush a little bit, rinse it off. Easy, but the soda may be a little safer.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
I found several posts right here (this forum) on these. Just one is below:

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2797300

Thomas (Count) Basey
Member of Emerald Necklace MG Register - www.mgcleveland.com

“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Wow. Thanks for the link to the earlier forum thread, Count! Painted body color the Cosmic 1 almost look like stock Datsun 260/280 Z wheels.

ajbowles Avatar
ajbowles Adrian Bowles
Westport, CT, USA   USA
I don't recognize those, but i had Cosmic wheels on my 68 GT6 in '71. They were not as popular as some of the other brands of the time, but they were good quality and they had some distinctive designs.

VintageBob Avatar
VintageBob Platinum Member Bob Crow
Alvin, TX, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "The Green Car"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "The White Car"
Hi Brian. Agreed these are early Cosmics. Nice I think. Don't really know value, but certainly a unique look these days. If you go to "google" search engine and type in 'image cosmic wheels' you can see a lot of them.

Bob Crow.
------------------------------------------------------

ZetecMGB Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Thanks for the info, everyone. Very helpful!
For anybody interested, my dad and I wrote an article about the car here: https://www.ceresmotorsports.com/projects/barn-find-bugeye-first-look

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in performance car parts for classic British automobiles.
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
So you're going with wire wheels on the Bugeye. Does that mean the Cosmic's will show up for sale eventually?

Great story about the Barn Find. Our local club was approached by someone with a number of BE in a barns scattered across a large property. Before we got cheeky moon about being the first to go in and look, we came to the conclusion that the storage environment (and high expectations of the seller) meant the stash would remain untouched a little while longer. There weren't just boxes in the way, there were piles of TVs, industrial light fixtures, etc thrown all around with no regard to the bodies of the cars.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Brian, it a very correct period correct wheel choice for the time, say late 60s, early 70s, I think redone they will look nice on the car. That wheels choice for the guy who wanted something different, then and now. Yes, this wheels was very popular with the Fiat/Alfa crowd, I pretty sure those wheels were factory on some of the Fiat 124s and other Fiats.

This Cosmic wheel style came on a bit later, your's are the early style, and this style was very popular as well. https://www.flickr.com/photos/triumph-friend/5477269596

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
ZetecMGB Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Quote: So you're going with wire wheels on the Bugeye. Does that mean the Cosmic's will show up for sale eventually?

I'm planning on removing the old tires, cleaning up the wheels and hanging on to them for a while. As soon as I sell them, I'll find a perfect car for them. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Quote: Brian, it a very correct period correct wheel choice for the time, say late 60s, early 70s, I think redone they will look nice on the car. That wheels choice for the guy who wanted something different, then and now.

Very cool. Thanks for the info, Hap! thumbs up

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster