1275 with 32/36 weber carb

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

br7n Benjamin R
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
Hi all, i am at my wits end. I have a 1275 that won't idle below 2.2K rpm. I have set the timing (twice). I have checked the valves. compression is 130, 150, 130, 130 (all dry). i have take the carb off twice. Taken the intake manifold off twice. cleaned everything. new intake manifold bolts (on the second attempt). torqued everything down. I have played with idle jets and main jets. I can get it to idle low if I basically manually close the choke butterflies (that are currently disconnected so that i can get to the fuel bowl). That symptom there screams vacuum leak, but at this point i don't know from WHERE.

at this point, i would have switched back over to SU carbs, but i don't have any. Is there an intake manifold for the SUs? I am seriously considering getting SUs if I thought it would fix the issue and I could go driving...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zippy brian j
vista, CA, USA   USA
mr b finding a stock intake and carbs should not be to hard to find or you could go with a maniflow single intake and a hif44 just be sure the angle fits sprite b

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
x2 what Brian said

Also, have you tried spraying carb cleaner around all of the joints in the intake tract (and all around the carburetor) while the engine is running to listen for any change in running, to identify a vacuum leak?

Are there any PCV or distributor vacuum ports that aren't sealed on your carb or manifold?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kelly.combes Avatar
kelly.combes Kelly Combes
Englewood, FL, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB MkIV "Blu"
With the Weber, there is an idle curcuit. Sounds like it may be plugged. Soak it overnight in carb cleaner and try running a thin wire through the passage and compressed air to blow it out. Once you have confirmed that it's clear, make sure you have the right jets in the right holes and it should be good.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
Regarding using Weber on an A series engine, recommended reading:

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,3752971,3753107#msg-3753107

N

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
If you want to go the a HIF44 single, I have all of the parts and the carb to make the conversion, new and unused.

Send me a PM if interested.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster