Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Winterville, NC, USA   USA
1976 MG M-Type Midget "The Midge"
Ok so I did something stupid. I unplugged all the wires from my radio console so I could take it out and clean the dirty leather. Now after connecting the wires including the hazard switch plug my brake lights and hazards do not work. My turn signals only work when the hazard switch is off. Any suggestions. This is he last thing I need to fix before I get to enjoy the car this season.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
JD,

The turn signals are supposed to only work when the hazard flashers are off. That's normal. Check the fuses for the other problems.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
Rick cleared up the issue with your brake lights (they are supposed to be like you described them).

Leaving only the issue that your hazards don't work now. Did you check the brown wire is connected to the hazard relay? (located inside the center console)

That is how they get their current (a completely different circuit than the turn signals system, which is why the TS are shut off by the Hazard switch when the hazards are turned on).

Note that the brown wire is always hot, so I think Rick is right that you probably touched it to something metal by accident and blew the inline fuse that is in that wire. Pretty easy to do because there is a nest of wires behind the console.

N

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
almost forgot: also make sure the black wire is connected to the light bulb socket, because without a ground for that the hazards flasher relay won't be able to work

I mention it because there are so many black wires all connected to that one multi-barrel grounding bullet connector it would be easy to miss if one is missing from it.

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Looks like you all might be correct. I have a blown fuse. I should have checked that in the first place. I will be buying a new one today and installing it. Hoping that is the issue. Thanks all for the help!

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
JD, did you find the right fuse at the auto parts store? Remember that these are 17A slow blow fuses. A veddy British phenomenon. A regular 35A will get you working again but you may want to stockpile some 17A slow blow for future "correctness."

Kerr Avatar
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
"A regular 35A will get you working again" - I am sure that David had meant to say "A regular 15A (BUSS fuse / American rating) will get you working again"

As he has pointed out: UK fuses are rated for their slow blow current ("35A"winking smiley, when that is translated to 'murican BUSS fast blow rating its equal to a 17.5 one over here. That size isn't typically available in a cylindrical fuse in the States so you can use a local 15A in its place.

x2 stock up on some British 17.5A ones for the future (available from the usual LBC sources).

Americans putting 35A American fuses into British cars (which is like putting a penny in the slot, and will cause a short to start a fire for sure) is one of the reasons why Lucas has a bad reputation (that, and shoddy assembly quality, and decades of aging, DPO abuse, and normal wear and tear).

N

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I stand corrected. I knew if anything one wants a lower rating than a higher one when substituting US for UK standard. Does it count that I thought what I wrote sounded wrong when I typed it?

Someone recently has started listing 17.5 in bulk packs on eBay. Not super cheap, but since I now have two Midgets driving I better stock up too!

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Shoot I will have to check. I may have bought 20A's.

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Ok replaced and checked the rest of the fuses and they are all good. Still no brake lights or hazards. Here are some of the wires I have left over. I’m guessing the red wire is power to the radio and yellow is memory. Other than that I do not know what the double black wire or red and whit striped wires are. Can anyone make sense of these pics.

Attachments:
007A9CAD-514C-45BC-97E0-8CE89339AA68.jpeg    43.3 KB
007A9CAD-514C-45BC-97E0-8CE89339AA68.jpeg

B7E41793-16C1-4BDB-8C4F-F626BC684A44.jpeg    46.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
AA8D15DA-AB30-47C0-95ED-C6394B88FBF4.jpeg    43.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Kerr Avatar
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
the black wire is ground

get a shop manual, it will have the wiring diagram and you can sort them out

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Got it. I found out I have multiple problems. The wires on my brake light switch ripped off, so I will have to fix that as well.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links