AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

matthewcrone7 Matthew Crone
Bunnell, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1967 MG MGB GT ~ For Sale ! ~
Has anyone ever done a ford 2.3 engine swap in a mg? I wanna put a modern reliable fuel injected drive train in. That I can get parts for at any parts store.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, ME, USA   USA
You might want to do a search and/or post in the engine swap forum.

mickri Chuck Losness
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
I am sure that it has been done. But it is a big and heavy engine for an inline 4. There are better options available. I am currently swapping a Toyota 3tc with a 5 speed. Forum member Boze swapped in a Toyota 4age into his midget. Search online for "the mite" for a swap of a miata engine and trans into a midget. And there is the datsun A15/5speed swap too. Lots of options to consider. All depends on how fast you want to go and how much money you want to spend. As they say given time and money you can swap just about anything into a midget.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
matt167 Matt D
Prattsville, NY, USA   USA
2.3 OHC Ford is a big heavy pig. The only way it would be worth it is if you turbocharged it

SR20DET is what I would consider. Japan only but parts are not hard to find

matthewcrone7 Matthew Crone
Bunnell, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1967 MG MGB GT ~ For Sale ! ~
Thx. I looked all types of options as far as drive train goes. I'm not a fan of cast aluminum engines. They don't seem to have the durability cast iron engines do. Turbo upgrade is not a problem. When the car is finished I want to have air conditioning. As I live in florida. So I do want to stick with a drive train that I can fix get parts for. Plus I can get the mid 90s truck complete in driving condition for a few hundred dollars. Then work out gearing later. Here is a picture the car I have.

Attachments:
20180605_161420.jpg    63 KB
20180605_161420.jpg

matt167 Matt D
Prattsville, NY, USA   USA
My advice is to forget the Ranger. The M5OD-R2 transmission they come with is a truck style shifting transmission. Very vague shifting, great for a truck and the dual plug engines are vastly different than the older 2.3L.. If you are really considering a 2.3l, than a Turbo coupe 2.3L with a T5 would be the way I would go

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
Also, that car in the photo is not a Midget, so you'll want to take this thread over to the MGB section. This is the Midget forum.

The B engine bay is very wide, ideal for fitting a V engine in (aluminum Buick engines worked out great in the V8-GT), and the Chevy small block only weighed about 50 lbs more than the 4-cyl B engine it came with (IIRC).

N

mickri Chuck Losness
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
Go look on the engine swap page. Lot's of info on the best engines to swap into a MGB GT. You will get all of your questions answered there.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster