Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Brakes?
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I've brought this up before without much help so I'm going to give it another try. My white Midget has EBC greenstuff pads on the front and generic Moss shoes on the rear. The Greenstuff pads do a good job of stopping but are dirty and don't wear all that great. That's my opinion of them.

All around this car doesn't have all that many miles on it and the brake material, front and back, is about gone. A couple of panic stops on my recent trip to Rallye Glenwood Springs has reminded me of what I think is the problem. My rear brakes.

I have some Ferodo VG 95 linings on the rear of my driver with unknown hard black pads on the front. Look like they could be Ferodo DS 11's. I know that John Sprinzell praised the VG 95's back in the day and I am impressed with them as well. This car stops far better than my white car.

Soooo, does anyone know of rear shoes that will do a better job than the generics that everyone seems to offer now???

When you can leave skid marks for the fronts but nothing where the rears ran its a pretty good indication the rears aren't doing the job.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
It is a fine line. I prefer the rears NOT lock up in a full on panic stop. I have a bias bar on my brake MC in my Sprite, and I was told to adjust it until the back locks up and then move the bias back until they no longer lock up. It seems to work well.

With a stock brake setup my Midget would lock all four wheels until I uprated the front springs and installed bigger tires. Now it only locks the front but still seems to stop just as well.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Thanks, Trevor. You make a good point but it seems that for a stock brake street car better rear shoes should be available. Sure wish I could find some more good ol asbestos VG 95's. The set I have are almost down to the rivets.

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zippy brian j
vista, CA, USA   USA
hi kurt maybe worth a try find the oldest brake shop in your area and see if they have some old stock around they cant sell out the front door rivets are a plus get a couple sets if you can b

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
The set I have, Brian, I picked up on flea-bay years ago. They would have to be hiding on the shelf of a shop that did sports car work. Not many here in the midwest. I do give a check just about every time I get on the site.

Kurt

zippy brian j
vista, CA, USA   USA
hi kurt what i was thinking was they might have some older better material they could rivet on to your old shoes that they cant sell anymore because of e regs b

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I guess after a search on e-bay things are better than the last I looked. Both Ferodo and EBC are selling rear shoes. I'm sure they aren't the VG 95's but both these company's have a reputation to uphold so I imagine they are offering good shoes.

Kurt

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
British Parts Northwest used to list the Ferodo shoes.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Checked, Trevor, and they are out of stock. E-bay offering out of England but, of course, the freight makes them pretty expensive.

Kurt

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster