Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1275midget Avatar
1275midget Mike's 73 Midget
over, hill and dale, USA   USA
looking for someone, someplace to rebuild a Datsun transmission.......

currently at the mechanics garage. we decided to call in the pros!

is Rivergate still in business? they did the original conversion........

thanks in advance for leads.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Yes, they are and can rebuild. Also, Southern Gear in Smyrna, GA.

Richb Richard Ball
Everett, Wa, USA   USA
Rebuilding these is actually not that hard of a job. You just need a set of punches, a couple of snapring pliers, a torque wrench, and the manual. The difficult part is finding some of the parts as most are NLA.

What kind of problems are you having?

I can send you a PDF of the manual if you like. Just need to know what year/model gearbox you have FS5W60A or FS5W60L.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1275midget Avatar
1275midget Mike's 73 Midget
over, hill and dale, USA   USA
thanks all for replies so far!

The issue is in fact finding the parts.
Got the original rebuild, and after it was put in, started hearing grinding noises. I don't do this kind of work, so took it to a mechanic who works MG's and in dismantling he found it needed some new parts. has not been able to locate for several months.
so, my last meeting with him we decided to 'send it out'.

here is a video I posted a good while ago with the original 'diagnostic clues'.........

Richb Richard Ball
Everett, Wa, USA   USA
That is noisy. What parts does your mechanic think you need? Some of us may have them.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Rich, you forgot bearing pullers and having a press doesn't hurt either. My guess is that nut that holds the gear at the end of the countershaft came loose and there is a lot of end-play. Sounds to me like there's bearing damage and probably gear damage as well. If I'm correct about the cause, that gearbox is likely toast. I can get rebuild kits for them, but you can forget about pretty much any other parts except what you might find used. Except for ball bearings (4), synchros (5) and a few consumables like seals, dust boots, and shifter bushings; there's pretty much nothing else you can find new. I think you'd be better off finding a new one. The ones right out of an original car don't always need rebuilding and I don't recommend doing it as a "matter of course". If you do source a new one and decide to rebuild it, have someone experienced with manual gearboxes do it. Run, don't walk from a shop that does mainly automatic transmissions. They seem invariable to screw these up.

In reply to # 3753940 by Richb Rebuilding these is actually not that hard of a job. You just need a set of punches, a couple of snapring pliers, a torque wrench, and the manual. The difficult part is finding some of the parts as most are NLA.

What kind of problems are you having?

I can send you a PDF of the manual if you like. Just need to know what year/model gearbox you have FS5W60A or FS5W60L.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-11 07:17 PM by pixelsmithusa.

Richb Richard Ball
Everett, Wa, USA   USA
Yup, puller and the press too... Fine, point out my failing memory.confused smiley

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG MGB MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links