Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Winterville, NC, USA   USA
1976 MG M-Type Midget "The Midge"
After months of stripping (paint that is), body work, priming, and sanding I finally was able to paint the midge this weekend. This was my first time every painting a car and I can't believe how great it came out. There are some imperfections, so I plan on buffing them out when I get a chance. I used a 20 gallon compressor and a harbor freight HLVP gun. I was amazed at how the 20 gallon compressor kept up with the painting process. MG purist may not be happy with the color, but I love it. It is an Eastwood single stage color called jaded green. Thanks everyone on here for giving me the confidence to tackle this myself.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0154.jpg    55.3 KB
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg    45.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0158.jpg    59.2 KB
IMG_0159.jpg    51.5 KB
Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
It looks fantastic. You did a nice job. Painting is 90% prep, which is why I don't seem to have the patience to do it. Haha

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Totally true. Painting was the easiest part!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zork Avatar
zork Gold Member Gary Robinson
N.ft.myers, FL, USA   USA
Looks great !
Gary

1275midget Avatar
1275midget Mike's 73 Midget
over, hill and dale, USA   USA
Like the color......very nice!

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Thanks I was afraid it was going to have too much metallic, but I think its just the right amount.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I like the hue and the debumpered look. Looks like you took the extra effort to use early chrome bumper front fenders as well. Well done!

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Yes actually my car is a bit of a Frankenstein. It came with one 1500 fender and one 1275 fender. I bought another 1275 bumper to have them match. I plan on either putting some fog lights or turn signals in the holes.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Mine too. Actually an early Sprite fender on the passenger side, proper 74 Midget fender on the drivers side, and a rubber-bumper 1500 center grille and valance area in the middle. Once painted, everything looked a whole lot better. This was on my Purple Rat from a few years ago.

Ryan Reis Avatar
Beatrice, NE, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
Is that single stage or is there a clear coat? I only ask as if it's single stage just be careful with the buffing. Normally you don't color sand a single stage metallic as it can mess up the appearance. You might want to test on an inconspicuous area or on a test piece. Good job!

Ryan

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
It is single stage. That is what I am trying to figure out. How do I buff or polish a single stage paint job.

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Pretty much the same has a base coat clear one. Depending on how bad the areas are a fine grit wetsand with 1500 or higher may be faster and do better.Start with the highest grit you can get results with. Better to take longer with a finer paper then to get too aggressive and have to reshot it. Buffing and polishing might not do more than remove any haze. Also I found out when I did mine wash it with a soap that has no additives (like silicon) made for cars. And don't wax it for at least a couple of months. It had something to do with the paint not being fully cured or something. Car looks good too. Makes you step back with pride and say "I did that"
Good Jobsmileys with beer

In reply to # 3753935 by G0Bigred It is single stage. That is what I am trying to figure out. How do I buff or polish a single stage paint job.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Ryan Reis Avatar
Beatrice, NE, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
I'm sure you've researched it and know all this, but the issue if you sand you cut into some of the metallic flakes and you can get a blotchy looking appearance. Maybe your darker color would help prevent that. I think if it were me I might try just buffing it with a foam pad and compound before I did any sanding. That alone would make it a lot shinier! I use a compound called Norton Ice and it works well. Somewhere I saw a post with a positive review of this buffer from HF: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-Amp-Heavy-Duty-Dual-Action-Variable-Speed-Polisher-69924.html

Just be careful on the edges as you can burn through in a hurry - ask me how I know!eye rolling smiley

Ryan

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Bit late to the game, but I have heard of actually adding clear to the last coat of a single stage paint in order to get more gloss. Pretty sure Eastwood covers this on one of their youtube videos.

Pete

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster