AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Valance Overhang?
  This topic is about my 1974 MG Midget MkIII
Statestreet Avatar
Statestreet John Lockwood
Tucson AZ, USA   USA
Continuing with fixing as I put the engine back, I found the front valance loose. As I put it back into place (where I think it goes) it looks like it will stick up into the hood space and may interfere with the hood when I put the hood back on. In the photo of the red 74 it's the piece of metal sticking up between the camera and the fuel filter. There's one on both the left and right. In the photo of the green 78 neither is there. Anyone got a picture of how it's supposed to be positioned?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0212.JPG    34.8 KB
IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG    42.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
On the '74, its supposed to stick up like that. It will slip behind the structure on the hood when it is closed. I'll try to get a picture later if no one posts one.

Statestreet Avatar
Statestreet John Lockwood
Tucson AZ, USA   USA
Thanks. I sorta figured it would stick up like that. Maybe to help direct air flow? Anyway I'll likely need to check the clearance once I put the hood back on.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Guys, the part is called a splash plate one left and one right. When I checked Moss I couldn't find it listed. VB has it listed though. The plate was used in the 61-74 models after that the fenders and the valance are welded so don't need it. It should not stick up very much above the hood close panel but best check before slamming the hood!

John, your parts look like they have taken a pretty good hit at some point in their life. I would check very carefully to see everything lines up. If you find a part amiss/not lining up I would do those repairs before going further. It will save you time and effort to do corrections now before everything is back in the car and tightened up. Might help for us to see some pics of the complete valance as well.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

zamboniman Avatar
zamboniman Rob Dougherty
St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada   CAN
1973 MG Midget "Violet Rose"
2012 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
Here's how it looks on my '73. One on each side looks like a splash shield.

My kitty loves helping under the hood. Sees me looking under the hood and she always takes a peek out of curiosities sake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 07:55 AM by zamboniman.

Attachments:
IMG_6050.JPG    43 KB
IMG_6050.JPG

refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
My dog likes to help me.

Attachments:
IMG_1736.JPG    38.8 KB
IMG_1736.JPG

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3753072 by refisk My dog likes to help me.

...and I thought the wire loom-eating mice were bad out in NM... yikes!

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
zamboniman Avatar
zamboniman Rob Dougherty
St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada   CAN
1973 MG Midget "Violet Rose"
2012 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
In reply to # 3753072 by refisk My dog likes to help me.

lol the dog knows how to get your attention!

Fixed the broken bolt on my hood catch latch. Hadn't noticed that before!

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
"Fixed the broken bolt on my hood catch latch. Hadn't noticed that before!"

yeah, I saw your kitty's footprint pointing to it too, she's just looking out for you (perhaps they are smarter that we think)

N

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster