AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

driveline angle wrong
  This topic is about my 1975 MG Midget MkIV
DoughJoes Avatar
DoughJoes Joe Gowen
St louis, MO, USA   USA
i took everything apart. painted it , put it all back together . i cant attach the drive line because the differential does angle correctly into the tunnel . the rebound strap is not reaching the bolt hole . i did get a new(used) axle housing . it looked the same . the e- brake bracket was different . the old one had the latter model e brake . the used one i got had the earlier model . i had to weld a bracket to install the different brake . i dont think the spring hangers bracket is welded on a different angel between the two . . i cant check because the old one got thrown away .( i know i know , never throw old parts away , till everything is done . )
the springs are shorter in the front and longer behind the axle , . from what is see in photos is how it is suppose to be , not sure though , i cant find any diagram that says so . what isn't put together correct?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4976.jpg    53.5 KB
IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4977.jpg    39.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_4979.jpg    39.8 KB
IMG_4992.jpg    51.4 KB
DoughJoes Avatar
DoughJoes Joe Gowen
St louis, MO, USA   USA
more pics

Attachments:
IMG_4981.jpg    31.6 KB
IMG_4981.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg    51.4 KB
IMG_4986.jpg    38.9 KB
IMG_4984.jpg    40.5 KB
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
the springs are all that could make it not fit now, and if they are the same springs, and if everything fit before you took it apart, then it is the rear shackles are not in their proper position

If I am correct, then you may need to take a long lever arm and toggle them over so they angle towards the rear (body x spring). When I put rear springs in I attach the shackles to the body last (attach front, then axle, then shackle to spring then finally shackle to body) and I use a long crow bar to bend the spring so the holes line up with the trunk floor.

When the rear springs are installed correctly, the rebound straps ought to have some slack in them when the weight of the car is resting on the rear axle on a pair of jack stands.

N

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ajbowles Avatar
ajbowles Adrian Bowles
Westport, CT, USA   USA
the older and newer style rear axles are interchangeable, there shouldn't be a difference as far as the hangers are concerned. I replaced the stock rear on our 76 with one from a 79 and had to get the newer style brake cable and hardware, but otherwise it was a straight swap. I do remember that I had to lift the rear with a jack under the diff to get everything lined up and attach the hangers and the driveshaft - I don't think it will go together if you just leave it supported by the springs.

Adrian

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Joe, did you install new bushing the springs. Did you tighten all the bolts on the rear suspension before letting the car on the ground to realign the suspension ? If not you might loosen all the bolts, jack up the car using the differential housing as a jack point. This will reduce the distance between the axle and the retaining straps allowing you to insert the bolts that hold it. Give that a try and get back to us. If you used the same parts they have to go back the same way/function. Just think about for a while and it'll come to you.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
X2 on what Larry said

DoughJoes Avatar
DoughJoes Joe Gowen
St louis, MO, USA   USA
took everything apart . lowered the chassis to the level it should be . i measured the springs . the shorter side is in the front. filled up the tires , as you can see in the picture , the rear of the spring is on the chassis ans i still need 4 inches to attach to the axle . the arc of the spring is 7 inches .

Attachments:
IMG_5009.jpg    96.8 KB
IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg    54.3 KB
AZ, USA   USA
In the last picture it looks like the rear shackle is facing forward its supposed to be angled back toward the bumper .

DoughJoes Avatar
DoughJoes Joe Gowen
St louis, MO, USA   USA
Yep. That’s what I can’t cipher what’s wrong.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I think he is saying you need to pry the shackle rearward as weight is applied to the car so that the springs can start taking their set.

AZ, USA   USA
I would bolt the springs to the housing first then install the front , jack up the housings into the car and attach the rear hanger . This should place the rear hanger angled rearward when the vehicle weight is applied thus putting everything in correct alignment ..................hopefully .

DoughJoes Avatar
DoughJoes Joe Gowen
St louis, MO, USA   USA
I’ll try that. It seems odd to me that you should have to push down springs to get in the lineup that way. you run over a bump it won’t flip back over?

MGs are the strangest vehicles I’ve ever worked on

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Those lever shocks look like they are hyper-extended which will provide no shock absorption. And the rebound straps looks like they may have come from a different MG other than a 1500 Midget.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
" you run over a bump it won’t flip back over? "

if the shackle is to the rear (leaf spring end of it is rear of the body end), it will allow the spring to flatten over bumps and the shackle will rotate but never go over center like you are fearing

As Steve said (and I also said, 4 days ago), assemble the springs to the vehicle from the front to the rear and last step use a long lever arm to bend the leaf spring until the shackle brackets line up with the holes in the trunk floor.

By the way, a '75 came with 6 leave rear springs that had 5.58" free camber. If yours have 7" your car might sit high in the rear, and if so, your straps might be too short.

Are these new springs, or the same ones you've always had? If they are the same ones then maybe the camber difference is simply due to how you are measuring it and not be a concern at all.

N

DoughJoes Avatar
DoughJoes Joe Gowen
St louis, MO, USA   USA
They are the springs that came with the car. Not sure if they are the correct ones. I’ve just never seen springs that you had to stretch them out to get an a lineup right. I’m gonna give a shout this weekend.And just to ask the short side of the spring goes in the front and longer spring in the back?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster