Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Lashertron Andrew Lashley
Weeting, Norfolk, UK   GBR
Hello everyone,

I took the engine out of my Midge to re-grind the crank, put new bearings in. I split the bell casing and out she popped!

I am struggling a bit getting her back in,

I have aligned the clutch, jacked the gearbox up I have an engine tilter on the crane, but I just cannot seem to get it all lined up so it will slide on to the gearbox. No matter the levers, jimmying, swinging, swearing can I get it in....

I walked away for a few days to see if all becomes clearer this coming Saturday when I shall reattempt.....

But with the extensive collective experience on the forum I thought I would ask to see if anyone has any hints and tips!

Thanks very much

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Easier to do with the tranny attached to the motor. Really hard the other way

BillHoltzman Bill Holtzman
Annapolis, MD, USA   USA
I got the engine in without taking the trans out. Be carful with your motor mounts when putting it back in though. Once you think you have the clutch aligned to the imput shaft properly, spin the crank and see if you can get the engine to slip in. If it does not slip in, move into a different position and try spinning again. You should be able to get your hand in the bell housing and feel where your clutch is in relation to the imput shaft.
I gave up on my first attempt too, but got it right on my second try.
Good luck,
Bill

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
x2, put the transmission onto the engine first, then install together. It can be done either way, but to solve the hassle you are describing assemble outside first.

If you've replaced any parts in the clutch system. bleed it before putting the engine back in (ease of access). Use a zip tie to hold the slave rod all of the way in and make sure the bleeder is at the uppermost position to get air out.

If you pull the transmission, insert the drive shaft into the rear of the transmission before the engine is all of the way in by reaching in through the shifter hole.

Don't forget the ground strap to the bell housing when you are done!

zabond Russell Meehan
Neerim East, victoria, Australia   AUS
1966 MG Midget "Bridget"
as Bill said once you get the clutch shaft into the clutch plate turn the crankshaft until the clutch splines line up, make sure you have the g/box in gear, a bit of wiggling/pushing it'll go in

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Yes, can be done separate but easier when bolted together! It helps to have a friend pull and tug the engine at some point.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
I didn't see any mention of using an alignment tool. Moss sells them for $3. I've done this job with and without the tool and I've found that they save a tremendous amount of aggravation.

I never tried to pull or install the engine without the transmission as a unit. It is too easy not to do it this way. Putting the engine and transmission together on the floor can be hard enough when it is out where you can see how things are aligning left and right, up and down.

Also, did you replace the input shaft bushing in the rear of the crankshaft? If so, it could be a very snug fit making the importance of the alignment tool even more necessary.

Don't give up. You can do this.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

Thanks everyone,

I did align the clutch with an alignment tool, i think i need some patience and a bit more jimmying.

Turning the engine on the crankshaft nut is a good idea I had not thought of, will give that a go, I might well draft in some help too.

As there is multi dimension to it, up down, left right, in out.... with the gearbox moving a bit too on the rubbers it adds an extra dimension.

Will post the results on Sunday!

After a not so inconsiderable amount of huffing a puffing there was a click, and she slid in....

What a wonderful noise/sight.....

Attachments:
file-1.jpeg    56.3 KB
file-1.jpeg

spettro9 Avatar
spettro9 Silver Member John Loiacono
Cedar Grove, NJ, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Laurel"
1999 Volkswagen Golf
2001 Saturn SC1 "Vicky"
I did it this way, and Yes mating the engine and gearbox was a little trouble but not too bad..

As you said, jack up gearbox, and make sure it's enough that at the angle engine + gearbox axis there's enough clearance around engine.
Someone on another thread mentioned this might stress the gearbox cradle mounts. So far so good. I did replace mine with new ones.

Also, if there are engine cranes/hoists/winches that's not ratcheting and has a smooth action, it might be better.
Mine is ratcheting, and you can't tell at which position you are closest to getting engine and gearbox at that same angle.

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
I have also found that when the engine and transmission are out and together is a good time to check the fit of the starter.

Tom Smith
1974 Midget
1976 TR6

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Andrew, I've had mine out three times. Pulled the engine and tranny all three times. No issue other than getting the radiator back in. Seems the British have smaller hands! LOL.

daveyt Avatar
daveyt david thompson
dorchester, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3751295 by jmac I never tried to pull or install the engine without the transmission as a unit. It is too easy not to do it this way. Putting the engine and transmission together on the floor can be hard enough when it is out where you can see how things are aligning left and right, up and down.

yeah don't try it. It costs more money in additional clutch parts

daveyt Avatar
daveyt david thompson
dorchester, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3751295 by jmac Also, did you replace the input shaft bushing in the rear of the crankshaft? If so, it could be a very snug fit making the importance of the alignment tool even more necessary.

and never lubricate with brake grease or ur clutch will be slipping and you will be spraying brake fluid in the housing for weeks

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster