MGExp

MG Midget Forum

You're the next contestant on Vintage MG Midget Price Is Right!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

yarnspinner42 Joanne A
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
I'll post my basic question then I'll add a little backstory for anyone who might be interested. I'm trying to come up with a number of how much money it likely would have cost in the year 1969 to buy a reasonably decent, but definitely used MG Midget.

Here's why: I'm writing a book and the main character has been saving up to buy an older used car from an acquaintance. Tragically, this person stiffs her and she never actually gets the car, but I'd like to make the details of the deal as accurate as possible.

I'm content with it being a midget because she's making this transaction based on falling passionately in love with the car and, well, I'm guessing I don't have to hard-sell that part of the story here.

The model year is flexible, but I was thinking possibly a '62, since she'd have been far from able to afford anything new.

I couldn't help noticing the MG vs. FIAT thread - ironically, I had originally planned for my character to buy a 124 Sport, as I myself had owned one back in the day and could thus write from my personal experience, but the book takes place in the late sixties and the MG Midget is a better choice.

I must admit that I have never owned an MG, but I/we have owned a string of old Fiats, Mercs (including an old pontoon), Harleys, and currently <coughs> Boxters. Don't hate!

Thanks in advance for any help on this - obviously I hope my book will come together and be great. If I had an old Kelley Blue Book, I could self-help, but alas.... Knowing what she might realistically have needed to save up to buy one will really help. Thanks!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
Book price for a 1962 Midget was $1,932 new. You’ll have to decide on a condition to determine a reasonable used price. smiling smiley

Thomas (Count) Basey
Member of Emerald Necklace MG Register - www.mgcleveland.com

“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I bought a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite in 1968 and paid $500. The car had 70,000 miles on it, but was in decent shape with no rust and a good running engine. Still have it today. smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
A 1962 in 1969 in decent, drive-able condition would have probably sold for $700.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Well, I guess my '61 would go for around $700-$800 in 1969. Wish I had bought it back then rather than 2015! Good luck with the book.

Billm Avatar
Billm Bill Masquelier
Santee, CA, USA   USA
I bought my first Sprite in '68 for $100 from a car lot in New York. It was a '62 and needed a clutch but did run
Billm

RockeA Avatar
RockeA Rocke Amonette
Norman, OK, USA   USA
I didn’t start buying Sprites until 1974, and paid $1000 for an H Prod Bugeye with spares and a trailer and $400 for a pretty good 67. Since $1.00 in 69 is about $7.00 today, I would think between $350 and $400 would be a good guess. That’s a WAG on the dollar vs dollar comparison.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
I bought my first Sprite, a 1960, in 1968 for $370, and I probably overpaid. I would agree with the $350- $400 price, maybe $500 tops.

In those days, a 6-7 year old car was old, and used cars were very cheap. Besides, $400 was a lot of money back then. In the same year, I could have bought a 1954 Corvette, fully restored for $600 (and would have had my parents let me take the money out of the bank). I also considered a '58 Corvette for $500, and a basket case Healey 100 for $100. In 1969, my friend wanted to sell me his '63 split-window Corvette Coupe for $1500, but I didn't have that kind of money... confused smiley You could buy a lot of perfectly good running 50's American cars for $50 to $100.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

yarnspinner42 Joanne A
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
Indeed. To follow up on my Fiat theme, I paid $75 to a friend who had a used car dealer license (this was roughly 1979), then, after driving that rust bucket for over a year, I sold it for $100 because the roof had been replaced and some guy wanted the roof really badly.

The responses people have sent to my question have been quite helpful in that I'm setting the character in my book up to be snookered on the deal, so it's starting to look like she was probably talked into paying somewhere between 800-900 dollars.

mster50 Silver Member Mike Sterling/A
Zanesville, OH, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
It would be nice if we could still buy cars for those prices. The down side would be that would also be our selling price.

refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
You can still buy cars for those prices. I bought this one a few years ago just like you see it in the photo for $500. I did make a small profit when I sold it a couple of years later. smiling smiley

In reply to # 3748732 by mster50 It would be nice if we could still buy cars for those prices. The down side would be that would also be our selling price.

Attachments:
100_0713.JPG    68.6 KB
100_0713.JPG

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
You stole it Rick! LOL.

mster50 Silver Member Mike Sterling/A
Zanesville, OH, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
That's awesome. You know that is not an every day deal.

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
In 1969 I bought a 1964 MGB with wire wheels for $1050. Black with red leather. I kind of remember that I could have bought a Midget of similar vintage for well under $1000.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I bought a good running 1962 Midget around 1968-69, Paid $100.00 for it. No Rust. Top was shot.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster