AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

grichn Avatar
grichn Richard nicholson
crevillent, alicante, Spain   ESP
1976 MG Midget MkIII "The Shed"
1977 MG Midget MkIII
I was surprised to discover a hub leak on my car which only has 17,000 miles on the clock but I soon found out why. I stripped the the brakes, shoes covered in oil, and noticed some damage to the hub retaining nut. I used my very expensive socket and adaptor and a 2 pound lump hammer to remove it.

The large rubber O ring was missing and the seal had been fitted the wrong way around - the spring facing away from the differential. Presumably this had been done at the factory...

I guessed that the PO had tried to fix the problem but gave up when he couldn't get the nut off. This might be the reason that he put the car in storage.

A BIG thank you to this Forum for the advice and information which made the job pretty easy!

Tomorrow I continue stripping the terrible paint job the PO made on the car - that's another story.

Richard in sunny Spain - 26 degrees C

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Richard the seal spring should face the bearing , it duos not face the differential. this might look wrong but I can assure you it is not , so if you installed the open side of the seal showing the spring facing the diff turn it around. the seal faces the bearing to keep the oil in the hub to lubricate the bearing , it is not there to keep the oil in the differential.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 07:17 AM by bev sleet.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
It is there to keep the oil in the differential, but you must think about the path of the oil. the open/spring side of the seal should face the bearing.

Regardless of the mileage these seals will only stay soft for 10-15 years. Once they harden they do not seal very well. So, it has probably been replaced before ... and needs to be replaced again.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
I should add that I once was going through a large pile of NOS parts and found some 50 year old rubber seals still sealed up in their package. They were not brittle, but definitely not pliable.

It was a Blast!

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
here is a sketch of how the seal goes (attached)

orange = brake backing plate and drum
blue = half shaft
green = rear axle housing
red = bearing

the nut and the seal are shown on either side of the bearing

Attachments:
Rear Hub sketch.pdf    98.1 KB

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Trevor you are half right and half wrong, you are right about the open side of the seal facing the bearing but wrong about it keeping the oil in the diff, I will repeat the lip of the seal faces the bearing to keep the oil in the hub, others will chime in on this one so I will be interested in other opinions.

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
The bearing is a common industrial bearing. To guard against leaks I install a double sealed 207 bearing. I do still install the double lip seal with the open side to the bearing and use a smidgen of grease on the seal. That seems to handle any reoccurring leaks at the seal.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Bev, I'm saying that the oil comes from the diff, along the axle tube, then to the hub to lubricate the bearing. So by holding the oil in the hub, it holds it in the diff. cool smiley

It was a Blast!

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Trevor I see your logic on this one and it's the age old debate but at least we all agree which way round the seal goes ,,,reading Richards post it appears that he fitted the open side of the seal facing the diff and if he did the bearing wont last long, I will sit on the fence now and just read the comments cheers Trevor smileys with beer

grichn Avatar
grichn Richard nicholson
crevillent, alicante, Spain   ESP
1976 MG Midget MkIII "The Shed"
1977 MG Midget MkIII
Thanks guys

Mierde as they say in Spain.............

Spanners out manana.

Richard in sunny Spain

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Richard, you are aware that the axle nut on the left hand side of the car is left hand threaded? If you do that side as well.

Kurt

66Sprite Avatar
66Sprite David R
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Interesting thread to me as I've got the upcoming job of overhauling the rear axle assembly that has laid idle for many years.

Reading the factory manual and looking at the exploded diagrams it seems to me;
- the seal is installed with the lip towards the bearing - this is explicitly stated in the manual
- the seal is inboard of the bearing
- the seal retains the diff oil in the axle housing
- the bearing is lubricated by grease alone which is packed into the bearing prior to the bearing being installed
- no diff oil should ever see the bearing
- the large 1 7/8" nut and tab washer lock everything in place and is torqued to 140 ft.lbs

Happy to receive comments or corrections, cheers David

Attachments:
hubs.jpg    62.4 KB
hubs.jpg

hubs1.jpg    69.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
David,

Points 1-3 and 6 are correct. 4 and 5 are incorrect. The bearing is lubed by the gear oil. The grease used on initial install is just to lube the bearing until the gear oil can get to it. The gear oil follows the path of the red arrows in the drawing below. The gear oil lubes the bearing and is kept in the hub by the oil seal.

In reply to # 3738117 by 66Sprite Interesting thread to me as I've got the upcoming job of overhauling the rear axle assembly that has laid idle for many years.

Reading the factory manual and looking at the exploded diagrams it seems to me;
- the seal is installed with the lip towards the bearing - this is explicitly stated in the manual
- the seal is inboard of the bearing
- the seal retains the diff oil in the axle housing
- the bearing is lubricated by grease alone which is packed into the bearing prior to the bearing being installed
- no diff oil should ever see the bearing
- the large 1 7/8" nut and tab washer lock everything in place and is torqued to 140 ft.lbs

Happy to receive comments or corrections, cheers David

Attachments:
IMG_3481.JPG    21.4 KB
IMG_3481.JPG

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
And get yourself 4 large bolts that will fit over the Wheel Studs as spacers so you can crank down on the hub to axle seal with Lug Nuts. Don't count on the little screws to provide enough torque to crank it down and get this seal tight Get it tight and then tighten the screws down to hold it together. .

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Ditch the paper gasket and oring and run a thin skim of Ultra Black or Grey and It'll never leak again.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster