AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SpitfireJim Avatar
SpitfireJim Jim F
Telford, PA, USA   USA
Just picked up a 77 Midget with a ‘stuck clutch’

Placed my order with Moss Monday and parts arrived yesterday, I ordered the full clutch hydraulic kit since it was only $70...

Decided to start with the Slave, when I pulled out the original I got a nice little puddle of rusty hydraulic fluid.
Installing the replacement last night I am about a half inch shy of the bolt slot...finally decided to walk away and try again tonight. Any advice or tips?

Pic of new toy attached...just for fun

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
40BBAD7D-46DE-47BF-BF72-06CCE7AEB690.jpeg    45.9 KB
40BBAD7D-46DE-47BF-BF72-06CCE7AEB690.jpeg

dimini Avatar
dimini Don Ipock
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
Jim-
BRG... my favorite color!

It looks really nice. I hope your car is as clean as the photo indicates.

I seem to recall having about 1/2" a year ago when I installed a new SC. I'm pretty sure all you need to do is physically depress the plunger by pushing the MC further into the bracket. I also had to remove the bracket and hone it out as the replacement SC was just slightly too large a diameter to seat into the bracket... maybe that's your issue, too? The other thing I noticed is that the groove that's milled into the side of the SC is much wider than the fixing bolt resulting in as much as 1/4" slop either direction once you begin to tighten the SC it into place. Midget 1500s appear to be notorious for having clutch engagement with the pedal at the floor, or only 1/2" off the floor. If like mine, you'll need to exercise every little quarter inch advantage to get the clutch pedal to release further out than pedal-on-the-floor.

yycmidget Avatar
yycmidget Dave B
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
x2 on Don's comments, although I took the excess girth off of the slave cylinder (using a long strip of emery paper, then wet/dry - no need for a mirror finish!) rather than honing out the bracket. On my 79, i didn't have the 1/2 problem and engagement was good - not too close to the bottom of the pedal travel.

Now, bleeding the clutch will be the next challenge - it's tested the patience of the most saintly of us! Lots of posts on this forum about tools and techniques to use in your attempt...

Best of luck!

-----------
Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpitfireJim Avatar
SpitfireJim Jim F
Telford, PA, USA   USA
Thanks guys, some good info. Will be back out in the garage tomorrow night to try again.

I do recall the fun of bleeding the clutch system many years back with a 72 Midget. But, my spitfire has the same system as this midget and that wasn’t too bad. Guess we will see!

Funny in the spitfire you can remove the tunnel cover and bleed the system sitting in the driver seat!

dimini Avatar
dimini Don Ipock
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
In reply to # 3737627 by SpitfireJim Thanks guys, some good info. Will be back out in the garage tomorrow night to try again.

I do recall the fun of bleeding the clutch system many years back with a 72 Midget. But, my spitfire has the same system as this midget and that wasn’t too bad. Guess we will see!

Funny in the spitfire you can remove the tunnel cover and bleed the system sitting in the driver seat!

Every time I’m near a Spitfire, I envy the ease of access for maintenance. Wow, how I’d love to sit in the drivers seat while working with the slave cylinder. Other than some challenging angles of access, yes, SpitfireJim, you’ll feel right at home w/a 1500 Midget. Actually, once you get the clutch working I think you might prefer the linkage/gearbox of the Midget over a Spitty. It’s a wonderful little direct linkage with positive, direct shifts. The few Spitty’s I’ve driven have had a very different shift linkage feel. I’d be curious to hear which, if either, you prefer.

SpitfireJim Avatar
SpitfireJim Jim F
Telford, PA, USA   USA
Don, that’s an interesting comparison you mention...

Flashback to my younger years...My brit car interests started at age 14 when I spied a Midget at a local dealer. That was about 1989. Still have a copy of British car with a green 66 on the cover.

Ended up with a 72 Midget, and eventually with a 59 Bugeye during college, about 1997 I think. Really wish i still had that Bugeye, AN5-L17688.

Fast forward through a bunch of Cars, Miata’s, 944,etc and I ended up about 5 years ago with a really clean 71 spitfire.

Two years ago I found a 71 MGB that needed a home. Just got it back in the road a few weeks ago. Love the feel of the shifting and steering, much tighter than the spitfire. The spit goes through a linkage, and even after swapping out the bushings it’s still not like the B.

It’s been years since I have been in a midget. My best friend in college had a 77. This brings back a lot of memories. Hoping to get it on the road fairly quickly. Will be interesting to compare the three...each with their own unique personalities

I wasn’t looking, this one found me.....

Attachments:
BFD73410-191D-4FE0-9797-FDF4EEB82A26.jpeg    45.9 KB
BFD73410-191D-4FE0-9797-FDF4EEB82A26.jpeg

759F2591-06A7-4187-9266-B00328EAFCEA.jpeg    99.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DF744337-B431-4894-9469-D13D749549AA.jpeg    90.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MichaelV Avatar
MichaelV Michael Voelker
Pulaski, WI, USA   USA
I'm not entirely sure if I understand what you're asking but having just replaced the hydraulics on a 78 with a Moss kit...

Are you saying that the slave will not insert far enough so you can get the bolt in the holding slot? There is a point where the slave did have some resistance with the bracket, but in my case I very CAREFULLY pried the bracket open just a bit to help the slave slip in.

As far as bleeding, go with the EZ bleed. It works perfectly. I've tried traditional pedal bleeding (fail), reverse bleeding from the slave (fail), but the EZ bleed was a 5 minute, one-person job.

SpitfireJim Avatar
SpitfireJim Jim F
Telford, PA, USA   USA
Mike, exactly what you have noted...inserting the Slave and about 1/2” shy of the slot lining up...

When you say EZ bleed, are you talking about a Mityvac?

MichaelV Avatar
MichaelV Michael Voelker
Pulaski, WI, USA   USA
Well then I'm a bit puzzled because if you can get the "fat" front part of the slave in, it should fit. The pushrod should be lined up in the SC or you wouldn't be able to insert it at all. Pushing the SC in should simply depress the plunger as Don noted.

I have had no luck using a Mitivac on the clutch. Plus it's difficult to maneuver under the car. Use an Eezibleed and you push fluid down through the master at a very fast rate which does an excellent job of moving air bubbles through. The name brand is Gunson though you can buy knockoffs for 1/3 the price. Well worth the investment.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links