AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Kyusifer Avatar
Kyusifer Kyu H
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Hi all,

Just wanted to drop by to say hello and give you guys an opportunity to give some general pointers to a complete newbie. I just bought this car last Saturday. This is my first classic car and I look forward to learning the ropes and gaining knowledge from people here on this forum. I've already learned about how to deal with the knock-off hubs (completely new to me) when I got a flat the day I bought it! It's all fixed up and good to go now though.

Here is the work that has been done to it by previous owner (Copied from original ad):

Mileage today is 119732. At 110,000 miles, the engine was completely reconditioned. Piston rings were replaced, rods and main bearings were replaced, crankshaft was measured and all bearings are standard, Cylinder head valves were machined. Valve seals were replaced. Cam bearings were replaced. Clutch was replaced: Pressure plate, clutch disc, and release bearing were replaced. Transmission was completely disassembled and repaired with new gears and gaskets and seals. Rear axle assembly was removed and disassembled, bearings and seals replaced. Front shocks were replaced with new shocks from Moss Motors.

Other things that have been done recently:

New Clutch Slave Cylinder
New Rear Leaf Springs and bushings
Changed electrical to Negative Ground
4 New tires, and wheels Powder Coated
New Battery
Retrosound Model One Radio installed / New Console / New Speakers
Seat bottoms replaced
New Parcel Shelve installed
Rear Brake Drums and Shoes installed
Stainless Steel Brake Lines installed
Heater Motor Switch repaired
Brake/Clutch Master Cylinder sent to White Post Restorations, Virginia, for boring and pressed in brass sleeves and rebuild.
Oil system changed to spin on filter type
New Cobalt Graphite Plug wires and top load Distributor Cap
Car Painted and body work done
New Tonneau Cover installed
New Storage bags for Top, Tonneau, and Frames made
New Muffler installed
New Trunion and Wishbone bushings installed (front suspension)
New Front Wheel Bearings installed
New Universal Joints, front and rear.
New Carpet Kit (Moss Motors) installed.

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this.

Thanks for looking!

'66 Midget Mark II

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 04:31 PM by Kyusifer.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Welcome Looks like you’ve been busy. Should be all set for a cross country cruise. With all that work done you should be able to help some less experienced newbies

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Welcome to the fun.The car looks good. Did you do all that work or did the pervious owner do it? If you did then you've a pretty good idea on how these cars are. If not you can at least know that most of the major problem areas have already been dealt with. So your biggest problem seems to be when to drive.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 04:26 PM by 76lucas.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kyusifer Avatar
Kyusifer Kyu H
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Sorry I should clarify, this was all work that had been done by previous owner. The post was misleading because I copy/pasted from the original ad. I have edited it to be more clear.

'66 Midget Mark II

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 04:29 PM by Kyusifer.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Nice looking car. Looks exactly like my 65 which is also old English white.

Kurt

Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Beautiful car Kyu! And welcome to the forum and the fun and charm of these little cars!

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
In reply to # 3736829 by ken472 Welcome Looks like you’ve been busy. Should be all set for a cross country cruise. With all that work done you should be able to help some less experienced newbies

That work was done by the seller prior to Kyu's purchase. Kyu is still a newbie (but not for long). grinning smiley

PS: my 65 Midget, red car in the profile photo, was originally old English white with a red gut. It will go back to that when I finish it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 10:54 AM by littlecars.

MKIISpriteGuy Avatar
MKIISpriteGuy Richard H
Kent, WA, USA   USA
Hello Kyu,

That is a very nice Midget that you have! While a lot of work has been done on it, you will find that an MG benefits from having a "Hands-on" owner and driver. This forum, and the AH Sprite forum both are great resources for information. When you are logged in, the SEARCH function will dig up answers and opinions on every MG Midget topic.

The vendors listed on this site are all good sources for parts and information.

Additional resources are:
Moss Motors parts catalogs. UK Moss and US Moss both offer them for free. They illustrate most every section of your car. The UK catalog is the best.
Repair manuals from Haynes and Roberrt Bentley. I have them both, but I use the Haynes manual more frequently.
Terry Horler's "Original Sprite and Midget". This is an illustrated guide to all versions of the car (ISBN 0-7603-1449-7)

Local resources in the Puget Sound area are:
Autosport Seattle - parts
Brooklands British in Tacoma - parts and repairs
Western Washington All British Field Meet in July - http://wwabfm.com

Cheers!

Richard H

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster