Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Billyjoe Avatar
Billyjoe Billy K
Mineral Wells, TX, USA   USA
I've read that there are shims/spacers under windshield and may be only on one side. True or not true? If so how do I know what side and how thick or many to use and can they be purchased.

My windshield was off when I got it.

There is a big difference between stupidity and ignorance and logic.
Ignorance is not knowing how to disarm a bomb.
Stupidity is doing it anyway.
Logic is running like hell.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.

Billy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Thin metal ovals follow the hole scheme for the two bolts that hold the frame on each side of the "scuttle.." The shims can go on either side, or no sides, or one side only. This was engineering of the highest degree on the production line back in the day.MG My red car has two shims on the passenger and one on the drivers side. My 74 has no shims here, but a pack of shims horizontally under the center support rod. The ones under the center support are made out of a composite, compressible material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 02:38 PM by littlecars.

Billyjoe Avatar
Billyjoe Billy K
What happens if you go with none. What are the repercussions?

In reply to # 3736769 by littlecars Thin metal ovals follow the hole scheme for the two bolts that hold the frame on each side of the "scuttle.." The shims can go on either side, or no sides, or one side only. This was engineering of the highest degree on the production line back in the day.MG My red car has two shims on the passenger and one on the drivers side. My 74 has no shims here, but a pack of shims horizontally under the center support rod. The ones under the center support are made out of a composite, compressible material.

Billy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
I always dreaded hearing the splitting of Triplex glass as you tighten the bolts down "one last time" for good measure.

Billyjoe Avatar
Billyjoe Billy K
Haha.... So, what your saying is trial and error as to how many and what side. Plan "A" then plan"B" and so on. Story of my life lol.
I had to replace the turn signal switch and every single screw head was stripped.
I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV but I swear I could have come up with better designs than some of these. Oh well makes you more proud of the finished outcome.

Thanks

In reply to # 3736782 by littlecars I always dreaded hearing the splitting of Triplex glass as you tighten the bolts down "one last time" for good measure.

Billy

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Eyeballing the gap as you fit the windshield will pretty well tell you whether they are needed or not.

Kurt

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
x2 what Kurt suggests. Another tip--I loosely attached the two small bolts at the base of the support rod to give me a rough guide to the center of the cowl/scuttle. Since the factory created thousands of these in soft metal I have found each windshield frame to be different. I attribute that to how they were tightened to whatever car they came off of. Some have re-installed very easy while others have kept me in the shop for days shaking my head. And this is BEFORE worrying about the body-to-frame rubber flap.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster