Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dogeddie Avatar
dogeddie Silver Member Andy L
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Per the Haynes manual, I put the car in 3rd gear and push it to get the appropriate valve to open so I can measure the associated valve. If I over push the car and go slightly past fully open, can I push it backwards to get to full open or do I have to continue forward to the next revolution? Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
I would think it should work. I usually just put a wrench on the crank and put a little pressure on the fan belt. You can also get a push button switch for the solenoid as long as the key is off. I am doing this next time.

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
Simple answer... Yes
This works best if you remove the spark plugs. With the spark plugs removed you are not dealing with compression so it is easier to find the stopping place.
Another way to rotate the engine is to put the car in neutral, put a wrench on the alternator pulley nut, then by putting pressure on the belt so it doesn't slip you can turn the engine over slowly by moving the wrench.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Good tips - thanks! If I only pulled 3 of the 4 plugs I would still gain easier rolling, right? My alternator needs to be discombobulated to get at the forward plug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 08:29 AM by dogeddie.

NelsonW Silver Member Nelson W
Medina, OH, USA   USA
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite "Little Mo"
Here is a method that I use that you may already be using. I bought a set of go-no go feeler gauges from NAPA. They make the job a lot easier. It just took me a few minutes to check mine several days ago.

Original owner
1962 Sprite "Little Mo"

hoggie Avatar
hoggie Mike Hogan
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
4th gear works best for me, remove plugs and use front wheel to roll forward until valve #8 starts to open, then go to neutral and roll your car back to give you 5+ feet clear in front. Back to 4th gear, and use the front wheel to nudge the valve back and forth for fully open #8, then adjust #1 , roll forward to #6 open, adjust #3, etc. .012 gap
I just print out the sequence and lay it out to keep me on track. When done, roll the car back, recheck, then your done. Although the manual recommends rechecking every 6k miles, I've never found them out of wack. A few excess thousands is not a problem anyway. Just don't want less.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
"can I push it backwards to get to full open or do I have to continue forward to the next revolution?"

I don't think anyone has directly answered this part of your question yet.

The answer is that it doesn't matter if you go forwards or backwards, or whatever combination gets you to TDC, since you aren't timing the cam (where rotational play is a big factor), just making sure the valve in question is completely closed. There is always a little dwell at that point, of a few degrees, so you can rock the car into that sweet spot. All you need is for the cam to be on its round "bottom" surface, so the gap at the valve is as big as it can be.

N

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Thanks everyone. It is running like a top! Took the wife out for a cruise. Feeling good about all the work I've put into it and now enjoying the fruits of a years labor. Then we noticed the brake lights aren't working. Ha ha. It's always something, isn't it!

So I got home and tore into that and got it fixed. Man, the PO sure was NOT an electrician! Yikes! I thought I was an electrical hack.

moondog Avatar
moondog david larse
san jose, CA, USA   USA
Too much work push pull make it easy get a remote starter switch thats what mechanic use

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 3736549 by dogeddie Good tips - thanks! If I only pulled 3 of the 4 plugs I would still gain easier rolling, right? My alternator needs to be discombobulated to get at the forward plug.

I solved the problem getting the front plug out by using a longer fan belt, then I use Jere's advice in #3, this is my belt also used on a triumph spitfire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 05:06 AM by bev sleet.

Attachments:
009.JPG    32.2 KB
009.JPG

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Good idea Bev - thanks!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster