AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
I thought I would relate my little misadventure from Satuarday for others benefit. Hopefully someone can learn from it and avoid my problem. My car has a flat top Hitachi carberator (very similar to a SU). I did not install it and who ever did tossed out the heat shield. It was up near 90 here this weekend and I decided to take a drive. Out to the store went in came out fired it up made it about 300 yards. Sputtered choked and coughed and started to die out. Managed to get it to top the hill and drift down to a gravel area .Of course it died and would not restart. I had spark so checked fuel none at the carb. Go across the street get 2 gallons try again nope. It was too hot to sit and play with so I called the roadside emergency number that came with my insurance. Got a truck in route, put the top up took the keys and had a nice 1/4 mile walk back home. To sit in the a/c and wait for the call. Once I got it home I started to look harder for the problem. First thing I needed to do was get it to the back to work on it.I was going to temp in an electric pump to get it there and thought "I'll try it one more time" and volia fired right up. Near has I can figure is the float bowl sits fairly close to the exhuast manifold and it vapor locked. The point is this, put all the parts back you'll save yourself a lot of grief later on. And insurance with roadside service is money well spent when you need it.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Is this the first summer you've had the car drivable? It doesn't take a 90 degree day to make that happen. Without a heat shield this could happen around 60-70 degrees. Are you going to fab something?

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
I got driveable last summer. I had not driven before when it was that hot outside. Most times it's been about 70 with a breeze. I have a stack of metal and I found a post from the triumph site where someone made a heatshield for a 1500 spitfire that I can make work with a little tweaking. I'll try to document it so if it works others can try it since heatshields don't seem to be available for a 1500 midget anymore.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
thumbs up Josh. The more documentation, the better. Some of us here in the south are already experiencing 95 degree "Springtime" days. The top can't even be down on days like this as I am folliclely challenged.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster