AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

62 Midget Brakes
  This topic is about my 1962 MG Midget MkI
RMacInnes Rick MacInnes
Keedysville, MD, USA   USA
1962 MG Midget MkI "Pete"
Friends -
My 1st post. Purchased my '62 Midget last summer. Brakes worked when I bought it but had severely scored drums. Did total brake replacement over winter including drums/shoes/cylinders/springs/etc. Have bled system twice including clutch slave cylinder but cannot get brakes to engage unless I pump, pump, pump....then they work but then drive and go to brake and it's pump, pump, pump again to get them to engage. Shoes have minimal clearance to drums. My next thought is to replace master cylinder.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Rick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
never-a-dull-moment Avatar
never-a-dull-moment Michael Holmes
Menominee, MI, USA   USA
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite "Helen (from Three's Company)"
Hello Rick, There are a lot of posts about similar issues with bleeding brakes and many very good answers. I will tell you what I have done in the past and has worked for me. Have a willing accomplice man the bleeder screw and pump the brake peddle like a man possessed! Seriously, pump it hard and savagely 20-30 times! Hold it down after that when pedal is hard and have the bleeder man crack the wheel cylinder. Repeat for other 3 wheels. I have found this to work when all else fails to get trapped air out. Press on Regardless, Mike

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
Be sure the brakes are adjusted. For the rear, you should have three clicks on the handbrake lever. The fronts should lock with adjuster then back off 2 clicks.

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Playa Del Rey, CA, USA   USA
Bench bleed the master, adjust the shoes out to slight drag, I installed speedbleeders on the wheel cylinders and have worked alone. I prefer the gentle three strokekes and check the reservoir. Also be sure the hand brake is off -. I still have semi finished brakes but enough to stop. An all new system is the devils air hiding place

61 Midget Mk 1 GAN1L/294*

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Did you replace the rubber lines? They can collapse internally and give you fits.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
X2 what Ken says. Be sure to replace the flex line to the rear brakes. People often overlook that one.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

RMacInnes Rick MacInnes
Keedysville, MD, USA   USA
1962 MG Midget MkI "Pete"
Thank you all for the advice. Rubber lines were replaced and putting car up on lift now to work on with all your suggestions. I'll keep you posted!

mk2sprite Avatar
mk2sprite Michael Knaub
NY, USA   USA
If you know you have done a good bleed and you pump them up hold your foot on the pedal if it slowly sinks your master needs rebuilding.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links