Stupidity and electrical problems

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tzink Trevor Zink
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
I needed to jumpstart my car, which, to make a long story short, I screwed up. It was late and I was in a hurry, and I attached the cables backwards on my car. I realized my mistake when smoke started coming from the alternator. I took the cables off, cleared my head, and started again. I charged the battery and got the car to start. I drove it for about 1/8th of a mile, and then it died, battery completely dead. Jumped it again, got it back home.

At this point I assumed I had fried the alternator and that's why the battery wasn't getting any more juice. So I replaced the alternator with a new one from Moss. Today I charged the battery again, started the car, let it idle for about ten minutes, and then drove it. It got to (strangely) the exact same place and then died in the same way. Battery totally dead.

I'm about to take the battery to get tested.
Another working theory is that I fried some wiring between the alternator and the battery.

Any other ideas? All of this started after cross-wiring the battery--before that the car was electrically and mechanically fine.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Curious why it needed jumping the first time. Was it the alternator or battery to begin with? It is possible you have melted and/or shorted wiring. I suspect the battery is junk by now. I would closely inspect the wiring before trying to restart the car.

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   USA
x2, why the need for a jump?

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tzink Trevor Zink
I needed to jump the first time because it had been sitting for several months while I was doing unrelated (braking and suspension) work. Battery drained during that time.

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   USA
Yep, electrical problems sound self inflicted eye popping smiley
Good luck, check the wiring...

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

tzink Trevor Zink
Had the battery checked and it was completely dead. And five years old. Put a new one in and everything is back to normal. Hopefully this is the end of it...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster