Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
I just went to two auto suppliers looking for DOT 5. Both of them tried to give me DOT5.1. Luckily I had done some research earlier and found that they do not mix. Neither one knew that. They thanked me for the info.

Be careful.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
That's good to know and I noticed on the brake master cylinder I got last week there was a sticker. It said the use of synthetic brake fluid will void the warrenty so keep that in mind also

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
before someone else asks:

5.0 = silicone (no hydrocarbon)
5.1 = synthetic, hydrocarbon based

They both have a "5" because they provide the same heat range. Unfortunately, it causes no end of confusion (and are totally not mixable)

N

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Common error to confuse synthetic with silicone. For the record, all brake fluid is synthetic. As Norm correctly points out, only DOT 5.0 is silicone...

Dick

In reply to # 3736023 by 76lucas That's good to know and I noticed on the brake master cylinder I got last week there was a sticker. It said the use of synthetic brake fluid will void the warrenty so keep that in mind also

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

pixelsmithusa Avatar
I think you mean silicone, not synthetic. Synthetic is compatible with Glycol based fluid.

DOT 5 is silicone; DOT 5.1 is Glycol based with a higher boiling point. Definitely not compatible.

In reply to # 3736023 by 76lucas That's good to know and I noticed on the brake master cylinder I got last week there was a sticker. It said the use of synthetic brake fluid will void the warrenty so keep that in mind also

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-14 12:28 PM by pixelsmithusa.

76lucas Avatar
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
I'll try to find the box when I get home. But I am about 98% sure it said synthetic. I will admit it was only a brief glance I gave it.

76lucas Avatar
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
I stand corrected it says silicone. Might be time to actually get some glasses.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
As for where to get it. My last purchase was Amazon in pint bottle. A quart can be too much.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Regardless they both taste terrible! drinking smiley

grinning smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster