Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Vetjet Avatar
Vetjet MARK BREMER
BENTON, AR, USA   USA
I purchased my midget with the oil pressure gauge disconnected at the engine block. Unfortunately the previous owner misplaced the fitting in the block.

Does anyone know the part number for this fitting? It’s the fitting the line screws into on the engine block.

Thank you!

VETJET

76 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
The 1500's originally had an light in the dash (the amber top one) for the oil pressure. The sender for the light screwed into the block so there is no part number for the fitting of a guage. Does the line still have a piece that screws into the fitting on the block? If so you'll need to figure out what size that is and get an adaptor to install it to the engine. The adaptors are pretty cheap but there are many sizes.An 1/8 inch npt (from the guage) to 1/4 npt (in the block) is the size adaptor Victoria British sells with their aftermarket oil guage. They dont sell just the adaptor. But you can probably get an assortment of them from a parts store.
And welcome to the fun

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-13 09:02 PM by 76lucas.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
MARK: I have had to make them before. I looked in MOSS but do not see it ????? In the past I removed one of the "OIL GALLEY" plugs and made a fitting. Those bolts are 5/16" Fine thread. Is yours using a Plastic Line.????.. I will print this out and look in my junk box tomorrow. I have a couple of boxes of "Spitfire" stuff, >>>> 1500 ??? Try posting this up on the TRIUMPH Forum. ??? Good Luck. I will let you know either way. smileys with beer

Member Services:
Vetjet Avatar
Vetjet MARK BREMER
BENTON, AR, USA   USA
Thanks Josh and Joseph.

I have a Smiths guage and I assumed it was original equipment. If I understand Josh correctly the amber light is stock and my oil guage may be the British Victoria retrofit?

Currently in the block I have another capillary line and guage installed by the previous owner who was using it for troubleshooting. Turns out there was an oil pump problem which is now fixed.

I have several capillary fittings in my stash from previous domestic applications, but unfortunately none of them fit. The previous owner thinks it was a straight fitting...

I just finished a three year restoration of my 69 Camaro where every little part is available after market. The MG seems to be in a totally different world...

VETJET

76 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
The guages VB sells are called auto guages and look like some cheap autometer knockoffs. If I remember correctly a Smith's guage was orginal for the older midgets. Where is the other guage screwed into now? If you want to use the Smith's one could you take the line off the other guage and use it or the fittings off it? That would solve the problem. If you want to use both and the other guage is where the oil sending unit was than you'll need to use Joesph's method to hook it up. Parts are actually easy to find and the Buy sell trade forum is a great place for them. I most times go there first.

Vetjet Avatar
Vetjet MARK BREMER
BENTON, AR, USA   USA
I want to take the temporary guage off and use the Smith guage in the dash that I thought was OEM.

The fitting for the temp gauge is different than the Smiths and the previous owner lost it.

VETJET

76 Midget

76lucas Avatar
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
I looked again and a guage was used up to 77 models so yours would be right. Try posting a wanted in the buy sell trade section. Someone might have what you need.

Vetjet Avatar
Vetjet MARK BREMER
BENTON, AR, USA   USA
Will do, thank you!

VETJET

76 Midget

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Mark. Sometimes you have to make the part. I just made a fuel line fitting for one of our members. On his Magnette.
Put up a picture of the”END” of the line where it needs to attach to the block. The oil pressure thread end is1/8” NPT and the galley plug bolts are 5/16” Fine thread. Again, I will lookin the AM. CHEERSsmileys with beer

Member Services:

Attachments:
2332E670-2B86-4EDD-A0B7-845449975582.jpeg    17.7 KB
2332E670-2B86-4EDD-A0B7-845449975582.jpeg

E165D09D-AD61-4531-806B-63A883DF396A.jpeg    18.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
FF505F23-DFD9-48E7-B8BF-EC89DB23AE36.jpeg    20.4 KB
BF7EF0AB-8F4A-4926-967C-8EFA5370CA53.jpeg    17.3 KB
CC602B54-01E0-4060-A4DA-A0FA06E6D771.jpeg    17.3 KB
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Mark. Sometimes you have to make the part. I just made a fuel line fitting for one of our members. On his Magnette.
Put up a picture of the”END” of the line where it needs to attach to the block. The oil pressure thread enthumbs upd is1/8” NPT and the galley plug bolts are 5/16” Fine thread. Again, I will lookin the AM. CHEERSsmileys with beer

Member Services:

Attachments:
2332E670-2B86-4EDD-A0B7-845449975582.jpeg    17.7 KB
2332E670-2B86-4EDD-A0B7-845449975582.jpeg

E165D09D-AD61-4531-806B-63A883DF396A.jpeg    18.9 KB
FF505F23-DFD9-48E7-B8BF-EC89DB23AE36.jpeg    20.4 KB
BF7EF0AB-8F4A-4926-967C-8EFA5370CA53.jpeg    17.3 KB
CC602B54-01E0-4060-A4DA-A0FA06E6D771.jpeg    17.3 KB
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
MARK: Looked thru all my old "Spitfire junk" Nothing. SOOOOO, you will have to make it. smileys with beer

Member Services:
Vetjet Avatar
Vetjet MARK BREMER
BENTON, AR, USA   USA
Great news. Today I found out there is a 45 year old British car company named McLeod’s here in Little Rock and he had the part I was looking for. By the looks of what Mcleods has there he will probably have any part I may need in the future.

Thanks for everyone’s help on this quest.

Mark

VETJET

76 Midget

ajbowles Avatar
ajbowles Adrian Bowles
Westport, CT, USA   USA
That was a lucky find - replacing that line is next on my to-do list. On our 76 the line from the block goes into a fitting on the frame on the driver's side (the picture is that fitting "before" - lots of wire brushing and painting before the engine went back in) and then on to the gauge. The switch for the oil pressure light plugs into this fitting. I believe this was the stock setup or a 76.

Attachments:
IMG_6481.jpg    62.6 KB
IMG_6481.jpg

spettro9 Avatar
spettro9 Silver Member John Loiacono
Cedar Grove, NJ, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Laurel"
1999 Volkswagen Golf
2001 Saturn SC1 "Vicky"
I made a brass T fitting from a piece that came off an old grill.
I think it's all 1/8 NPT. If you have a tap set (you prob should if you're working on these cars), it came with it.

My original combo oil/temp gauge had the ether line for the temp gauge long since broken, AND I didn't really want the oil line coming up into the dash,
so that is why I made a T-fitting to mount in engine block:
- for a sender for a universal electric oil pressure gauge. (that I later mounted in a panel along with some other switches, etc where original mono speaker was in console)
- and for the oil pressure light switch
BUUUT.... the original oil pressure switch in the 1976 1500 is light off with no oil pressure/on with oil pressure, so it can power the anti-run-on valve;
I put in one that just lights up when key is in run and engine is off ...or has low oil pressure, like previous years.
I think the Moss part number is 131-585,

(Actually, my fitting has 3 outputs; one of them I just plugged.)

here are some pics...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-09 02:19 AM by spettro9.

Attachments:
20170425_183420.jpg    42 KB
20170425_183420.jpg

20170425_184336.jpg    32.6 KB
20170425_202555.jpg    38.7 KB
20170526_202418.jpg    51.9 KB
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Hey Mark, it would make it a lot easier on you and us to post the year of your car to your profile so we all could see what year car you have rather than scrolling back and forth to find it. Takes but a minute and then its done.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster