AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ballast resistor or not?
  This topic is about my 1976 MG D-Type Midget
Bampy6109 Jon Kalb
Richmond, USA   USA
I am converting my distributor with a Pertronix ignitor and purchased an Intermotor sports coil. Pertronix has instructions for cars with a ballast resistor and I have read articles that state that I can get rid of the resistor due to the higher output of the new coil?. Just asking for the best way to wire the new components .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Is the coil internally ballasted? If it is than an external ballast will put to much resistance in the igntion system so it's not needed. If it isn't than you'll need it for to get the right voltage in the igntion system once it starts. In the simplest terms to much resistance and you don't get enough voltage to start the car or keep it running, Not enough and you get to much votage and risk burning important things like that new petronix and the wiring up. The coil should have come with instructions that would tell you if it was internally ballasted or not. Someone else could probably give you a more in depth technical version if you need it.
And since this is your first post welcome to the fun. Throw some pictures when you get some. We love pictures around here. Also your car is usually referred to has a 1500 midget. I am not sure why the D-type thing comes up so much.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Bampy6109 Jon Kalb
Richmond, USA   USA
Thanks Josh- I'm not sure if it's internally ballasted or not, no paperwork in the box and not much info online regarding Intermotor coils in general. I'm going to call Moss tomorrow and ask them. Thanks again!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster