Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGMike78 Avatar
MGMike78 Michael Chochrek
Foxboro, MA, USA   USA
Recently, my hood(bonnet) has been giving me fits. I have to drop it 4-5 times before the hood catches and latches. Once it latches and I Drive the car, when I hit the first good size bump in the road, the hood becomes unlatched. The secondary latch keeps it from blowing up, but I Am petrified it will eventually pop up and hit the windshield. I am having problems figuring out how I can adjust the latch so it latches more securely. Anyone have experience or information on how to adjust this latching mechanism?
Thanks...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Lock nut on the center post. Loosen it and you can screw the center post out to let it latch more securely but first I would do a good lubrication with an oil can on the latching mechanism and the cable. A bit of grease where the post goes through the front shroud.

Kurt.

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Mike,

X2 what Kurt said - make sure the sliding/latching mechanism is lubricated. You mentioned that you have to drop it 4-5 times before it latches. Your hood is not like a modern car where you put the prop rod up and drop it down to latch. You need to close it, then with a hand on each side of the latch at the front, firmly push it down until it latches. You need to compress that spring and push the little sliding piece to the side so it pops back to latch.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
It is also possible that someone has the side bump pads set a touch too high.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-14 07:07 AM by trevorwj.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I took the bump pads off initially on my Purple Rat. Adjusted the hood due to slam panel damage from years before. Once the panel lines looked good and hood latched as it should--check by pulling up on the forward edge the whole car should lift with it--I put the bump pads back and shimmed/trimmed accordingly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-14 08:10 AM by littlecars.

MGMike78 Avatar
MGMike78 Michael Chochrek
Foxboro, MA, USA   USA
Gentlemen,

As always thank you for the advice and pointers. I was trying to adjust the latch down on the slam panel. Once I turned my attention to the hood and the latch and spring, it was evident the round piece that catches on the latch was bent. Loosened the lock nut, twisted 180 degrees and retightened and the hood latches firmly just as it should. I am also not dropping the hood any more but rather closing and pushing down until latched as suggested!

Attachments:
image.jpeg    23.4 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    26 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Ingenius! That was a good catch! I just remembered something else I did was cut some of the coil of the spring off so that the tapered "thimble" always found its way below the latch controlled by the bonnet pull.

adobejoe Andy Rose
Powell, WY, USA   USA
I am also in the process of setting a bonnet. Getting the edges to match with the fenders is a bit tricky, and the adjustments come from the center latch and the two side bumpers. Also the rear hinges assemblies (up/down forward/back) I might add from previous experience the way the bonnet is supported when held up from the side with the extension rod seems to be a design flaw. Doing this for any length of time tends to warp the bonnet (hood). A better way is to support it from the center against the shroud of the radiator. I will show a pic tomorrow of what I use, just a fiber rod.

Andy

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster