Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Vetjet Avatar
Vetjet MARK BREMER
BENTON, AR, USA   USA
I found a large gauge ground wire mounted to the frame at the right hand side of the rack and pinion steering. I assume the other end should mount to the motor, can anyone confirm if I am correct?

Thank you.

VETJET

76 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
C207BCCF-35B7-45D0-AA7A-B24E9779D10F.jpeg    43.8 KB
C207BCCF-35B7-45D0-AA7A-B24E9779D10F.jpeg

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Mark you are quite right, that is the engine to bodywork earth strap, because the engine mounts are rubber you need to bridge the engine mounts, your starter motor wont turn without it unless you got another earth strap somewhere.

Vetjet Avatar
Vetjet MARK BREMER
BENTON, AR, USA   USA
Bev, thank you for your confirmation. I found a threaded hole adjacent to the oil dipstick. Unfortuanately I am unable to find hardware that will thread int the hole.

Can someone identify the size of bolt that fits into the hole my finger is pointing to it in this photo?

Thank you,

Mark

VETJET

76 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
AEAF65F8-17DF-4F61-A7F3-198E29B207AF.jpeg    42.1 KB
AEAF65F8-17DF-4F61-A7F3-198E29B207AF.jpeg

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Fix it under a sump bolt or timing cover bolt , any bolt will do as long as it goes from engine to body , if you use a timing cover bolt don't allow it to foul the fan belt or crank pulley.
the bolt for the hole will be a UNC or UNF I'm not sure which but someone will come up with the answer

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
Look at my picture below. The hole that is near the dipstick is for a brace that supports the front engine plate. It is a 3/8" coarse thread bolt, about an 1" in length.
It is best not to use timing cover bolt because the timing cover has a lip on it. There is an engine plate bolt that is better. Make sure you clean rust and paint from both connections. This ground is important for proper starter and ignition function.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-14 07:16 AM by jmac.

Attachments:
Ground strap bolt.jpg    31.6 KB
Ground strap bolt.jpg

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Ok Mark I just had to look at mine and its bolted to the engine just like Jere's picture shows, bottom of picture right hand arrow

Vetjet Avatar
Vetjet MARK BREMER
BENTON, AR, USA   USA
Thanks Jere, looks like I need to search for a bracket now since it didn’t come with the car. I tried standard hardware but nothing seemed to thread into the hole, are the threads a British standard or the same as us?

I will use the ground point that you identified.

Thank you!

VETJET

76 Midget

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-14 09:46 AM by Vetjet.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster