Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
Here’s the condensed version of my dynoalt install on the 1275 that’s in my Bugeye.

Well the first one was defective, the hole for the tach drive wasn’t drilled deep enough, so the supplier graciously sent me a new one with instructions to put the old one in the box and send it back with the prepaid shipping label.

Sounds easy enough, well the tach drive would not thread on far enough because I was using an original equipment drive. The one I had has the brass nut so I didn’t want to force it and split the nut. Call the supplier and was told they were going to get an original tach drive and try it on the units they had. Fast forward a couple of weeks, I called and was told the person who was supposed to send them the drive hadn’t sent it. They will get it and get back to me.

Another week goes by so I called again. I was told that the person didn’t have an original drive but people who had bought the dynoalt had been using an aftermarket drive from another supplier with no problems. Of course that aftermarket drive is around $90 after I had already paid $75 locally for the original one. I told the supplier that I wanted to be able to use the one I had and they said put both units in a box and send them back for a full refund.

I then spent an hour gently threading the nut on with generous amount of WD40 until it was all the way on. I figured I was all set. Not really. Since I didn’t have a usable fan and pulley I had ordered and received them with the first unit. I put everything on the motor and found the belt I had ordered from someone,I can’t remember who, was too short. So I went to my FLAPS and got a new belt. Finally got everything together and something didn’t look right. Of course the pulley I had was much smaller than the original ones. This probably won’t be a problem if I didn’t have a mechanical tach. If the pulley diameter is not correct then my tach won’t read right.

Luckily I have a friend who has a stash of Healey parts and he quickly offered me one. Should be good to go now. Not yet. When I put the pulley on the belt was not lining up. The pulley was 1/8”too far forward. The remedy for this was to grind 1/8” off of the back of the pulley hub. I did that and was able to get the pulleys all in line. Should be good to go again. Not so fast. Now since the hub is thinner the nut won't tighten against it. It bottoms out on the shaft. So I fabricated a custom washer that would go over the shaft and had indents that clear the rivets on the pulley.

Well here it is all finished. Simple right.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
26708287-BA41-4F43-925B-AD4D40F6D744.jpeg    65.9 KB
26708287-BA41-4F43-925B-AD4D40F6D744.jpeg

58custom Avatar
58custom Tom Crocker
Santa Clarita, SoCal, USA   USA
Well, at least the mounting bolts worked OK. All looks pretty and serene in that pix.

1969 MG Midget with Datsun A15/5 speed

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Ernie,

Glad to hear you got it all sorted. You did a beautiful job; it looks great.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I have found as the years go on that alternators, generators and belts when purchased from large resellers often require adjustments or returns. Not good when one wants to mark a date on the calendar for when they will next be driving the car!

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
The large pulley will limit the output of alternator, especially at idle. It sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it? The pulley you have looks like the larger one for the older lower output generator. The higher output generators showed up on Minors during 59 with a slightly smaller pulley and a step in the generator body and yes, a slightly smaller belt. A 60 Sprite probably should have had the higher output generator.

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Since it’s a much higher output alternator in a generator body I’m not all that concerned about the decrease in output at idle. It’s still a big improvement over the old generator. Also as stated the mechanical tach would be off with the wrong pulley size.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
The remaining question though is what pulley is the tach calibrated to? The old low output generator with the larger pulley or the one that came out in 59 with the smaller pulley? (not alternator small)

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
I’m not questioning your knowledge but I have not heard that before. All the major suppliers only list one pulley for the generator years. I would think if there were two sizes someone would offer that. This pulley came off a Bugeye generator.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
The older dynamo is 19 amp and the later one is 22amp. Morris Minors got the upgrade during 59. I only have limited Spridget books and it states 19 amp for 948 and 22amp for 1098 and up. Due to the mechanical tach it's possible the Sprite never got the upgrade until the electrical tach was introduced. Maybe the Sprite guys can confirm.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster