Identify oil leakage

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
I just renew the oil sump gasket and I see a small leak from rear of oil sump but I cannot identify if this leakage is from oil sump or transmission. In below pic the red arrow is the area that I see a oil drop. Stars from top and drops from where I point the red arrow.

Is is oil sump gasket?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
57037DE3-DF4A-4C49-8780-CF7F42E964E1.jpeg    37 KB
57037DE3-DF4A-4C49-8780-CF7F42E964E1.jpeg

hoggie Avatar
hoggie Mike Hogan
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
wipe of the transmission plate and check for new oil. I'm betting sump gasket. Those are a pain to seal

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3735214 by hoggie wipe of the transmission plate and check for new oil. I'm betting sump gasket. Those are a pain to seal

I did but again I see a drop in same place.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Is this a suspicious place for transmission leak as well?

ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
I thought they were supposed to leak there. If you can get that to stop leaking you will be lucky. I have been told they leaked on the showroom floor when new. You know what they say if there's no oil under it htere's no oil in it.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
There is no seal at the rear of crankshaft, rare to find one that doesn't leak a little. As mentioned, they put catch pans under them on the showroom floor when new. 25-30 years ago the center of the traffic lanes was always black with oil, it was considered normal for cars to leave there mark.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
So it is rear oil sump gasket? If that’s the case why we cannot fix it?

In reply to # 3735275 by 66jalopy There is no seal at the rear of crankshaft, rare to find one that doesn't leak a little. As mentioned, they put catch pans under them on the showroom floor when new. 25-30 years ago the center of the traffic lanes was always black with oil, it was considered normal for cars to leave there mark.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Mojan,

You just replaced the sump gaskets and they're probably fine and not leaking. Your drip is most likely the normal leak from the rear crankshaft main bearing. There is no rubber seal at the rear of the crankshaft, just a "scroll" seal machined in the end of the crank.

The way to keep this drip at a minimum is to maintain a small vacuum in the crankcase by making sure the PCV system is working properly.

In reply to # 3735405 by Mojan So it is rear oil sump gasket? If that’s the case why we cannot fix it?

RandyAJ Avatar
RandyAJ Silver Member Randy Jenkins
Duanesburg, NY, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
If the car has the 5 main bearing engine, there will be a rubber seal. The three main engines had that scroll thing, and yes, it will definitely drip, especially just after you shut down, and any oil "in the groove" will dribble out. It looks scary because you think oil is constantly coming out like that, but it is mostly on shutdown. Totally agree about the crankcase ventilation. The MGA guru has a great section on how to install a seal on the 3 main engine, but it requires some pretty serious machine shop work.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Thanks guys, I’ll leave it like that then smiling smiley

Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, ME, USA   USA
Gerard's Garage has a rear seal kit that's easy to install. You should check it out, maybe get one and keep it on hand for the next time you pull your engine.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
In reply to # 3735430 by RandyAJ If the car has the 5 main bearing engine, there will be a rubber seal. The three main engines had that scroll thing, and yes, it will definitely drip, especially just after you shut down, and any oil "in the groove" will dribble out. It looks scary because you think oil is constantly coming out like that, but it is mostly on shutdown. Totally agree about the crankcase ventilation. The MGA guru has a great section on how to install a seal on the 3 main engine, but it requires some pretty serious machine shop work.

Randy....wrong forum! Us Spridget people don't concern ourselves with production changes like MGA and MGB guys do....between 5 and 3 main bearing engines.

RandyAJ Avatar
RandyAJ Silver Member Randy Jenkins
Duanesburg, NY, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
right after I wrote that I realized I had drifted over the yellow lines somehow...sorry about that!

Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Mojan, get your self one of these

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-5045-Multi-Purpose-Fluorescent-Detection/dp/B008I2VPC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1526387012&sr=1-1&keywords=UV+Fluorescent+Leak+Detection+Dye

And one of these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDV0CXC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01MDV0CXC&pd_rd_wg=VP9Of&pd_rd_r=D92VVW062KR7EY2WP5TY&pd_rd_w=jCDzd

Put the dye in the engine and check your leak. Then you'll know if the leak is from the engine or the gear box. It is very useful for detecting other oil leaks as well..

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster