Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gene13 Avatar
gene13 Gene Lucas
Larkspur, CO, USA   USA
I have a 1976 MG Midget that if you run into Home Depot and come back out it will not start until cooled down. It runs fine when you drive it even for 45 minute drive into Denver. It does not idle well when hot either. I have gone thru most of the checks on all the forums. It has the stock 150 CD carb. No vacuum leaks changed the coil spark was weak when hot before replacing the coil. The engine was overhauled last fall has good compression. The diaphragm is good in the Stromberg carb. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it ran it till hot let it set 10 minutes then attempt to start no go checked fuel pressure 3 psi solid. Has mechanical and electrical fuel pump installed both work. Pulled the air filter when hot and stuck a screw driver in the carb to hold the piston up it fired up and died would not restart. Let it cool down starts fine. Idles at 1100 rpm. Choke seems to work. I do not smell gas when it wont start so it is not flooding the carb. Attempted to hold peddle to the floor and start when hot does not start. Then you do smell gas. One thing I do notice is the shaft the rotor sets on the distributor has play side to side. I am at 7200 feet in altitude.

Any ideas left out there would be appreciated.

Gene

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Is the heat shield for the carburetor on it?

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

gene13 Avatar
gene13 Gene Lucas
Larkspur, CO, USA   USA
No the heat shield was never on it. Where can I get one? I put aluminum foil between carb and cat converter and it did not help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
You'll have to either make one or find it used. Mine did something like yours today. While I waited for the truck I checked for fuel at the carbuerator had none got home and started right up. So I am looking for one also. I know VB and Moss don't have them I haven't looked anywhere else yet.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

ntorch Avatar
ntorch n torch
Blandon, PA, USA   USA
Where is your electric fuel pump installed? If in engine bay, disconnect and relocate it out of engine bay. Before you do that, try running on just your mechanical pump to see if that solves your hot start issue (if you haven't already tried that.) 1500 engines don't typically have carb heat shields installed, although it may help if all else fails.

1976 MG Midget--Original Tundra Green

gene13 Avatar
gene13 Gene Lucas
Larkspur, CO, USA   USA
My Electric fuel pump is back near the tank.

With just the mechanical pump it usually will get vapor lock when it is 80 out.

Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, NH, USA   USA
Gene, my 1977 has a heat shield, with stock carb. See if you could make something a little stiffer than the aluminum foil? May I suggest, an old cookie sheet, that is what I would try, that is about the same thickness as my heat shield. I was able to remove the cat, and put on a straight pipe from a 75. That cat will be the hottest part in your engine compartment, and the engine bays, do not breathe well at all. Are all the rest of the smog controls in place? In New Hampster, we did not need it for our inspection stickers. How are you at fabricating sheet metal? I could send a picture of what mine looks like, and see how it's mounted, if you'd like. I did not drive the car to work today, some thunder boomers are possible, so she's tucked in bed, in the garagesmoking smiley
Yesterday was the first trip to work, with the car, and I took the long way in, and the long way home too, it was great, and she ran wellthumbs up

dodgy dave David Osborn
Shropshire, UK   GBR
Had the same problem . Titanium bandage around manifold , heat shield , but I also louvered the bonnet . All good now ! Photo attached.

Attachments:
DSCF2352.JPG    47.8 KB
DSCF2352.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster