Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rex62 midg Rex Howard
Porirua, New Zealand   NZL
1962 MG Midget MkI "Midg"
I have a Mk1 Midget and the interior door handle snaped off. I have a new one from Moss but cant figure out how to now open the door to replace. I can reach around through the door frame a feel the mechanisim, but without the handle cant see any way to open the door.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
can you get a pliers in there to grip the stub with, to rotate it and unlatch the door?

Rex62 midg Rex Howard
Thank you. I will give that a go

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Rex, I to have an MK1. I have replaced the door knobs on one side, the passenger side with a Moss knob and nylock nut. But to make a matching pair I can't figure out how to remove the OEM knob on the drivers side. This knob swivels around and is hard to see behind it. I suspect it is crimped behind. See pics. First is the replaced P/S side with Moss knob and nut and second pic is the OE D/S.

Attachments:
DSCN9973.JPG    55.8 KB
DSCN9973.JPG

DSCN9974.JPG    30.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
if you remove those 4 screws, does the entire inside remote control assembly come away from the door?

If so, then you can service the lever on the workbench, with access.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
I'll check Norm.

Rex62 midg Rex Howard
Thanks, but it is the lever, not the knob - it has snapped off behind the door panel.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Norm, can't believe I didn't think of that. Maybe afraid of springs and things popping out at me. Got it off and it appears the knob has a pressed in shaft with a shoulder. I ground off the head and it came right off. See pic. Thanks Bud!

Attachments:
DSCN9975.JPG    24.3 KB
DSCN9975.JPG

Rex62 midg Rex Howard
Will have a go tonight after work. From memory though, the two screws nearest the rear edge of the door are covered when the door is closed. Im hoping, now that I have the replacement catch from Moss and can see how it works, I can get my fingers in there and pull down on the remains of the lever.

daveyt Avatar
daveyt david thompson
dorchester, MA, USA   USA
mine broke off years ago so I open the door by facing forward, aiming my thumb backwards, then pulling down on the remains.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 MG Midget 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links