MG Midget 1500 manifold stud

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgmidget76 Brian T
Chattanooga, TN, USA   USA
I am in the middle of replacing the manifold studs. At the top back of engine, in front of what looks like a screw cap the size of the oil pan nut for coolant access?, I found someone had put in a Helicoil. Upon removing that stud the helicoil came apart. Upon removing it started leaking anti-freeze coolant all over out the bolt hole. Is that expected or did they drill all the way through some how? In any case, if this is normal, will tightening the screw stop this or am I in trouble with this?

Let me know as soon as you can, I am stuck.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   USA
Can you post a picture?
Would be good to see the problem...

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-11 04:34 PM by dlrhine.

mgmidget76 Brian T
Chattanooga, TN, USA   USA
OK. After reading a few other forum posts, it looks like that there is a direct path for this manifold bolt hole into the coolant area. So I reinserted a new helicoil (you must calibrate between your stud and tap hole and coil, I stayed with metric) and coated the bolt with hi-temp gasket sealer and the leak stopped and it tightened up nicely. Learned a lot about the pacesetter header in this process. I also had to find a proper roll pin for the pierce intake manifold as it was shifting upward at the rear. I did replace all the manifold studs, levelers (can't remember the proper name) and used brass nuts. Looks great, sounds great, runs great. I ended up using a two inch pipe welded to the down pipe after a lot of modification. The down pipe is not a proper fit as they claim from the factory. It did hang quite low and was not possible to connect to the gear box for proper torque distribution with the engine under load so watch out for that with the pacesetter header and down pipe on the 1500 engines. I had to modify the downpipe significantly. I have sent pacesetter a document with my suffrage and have asked the engineers to look at their cad file because I feel there is a design flaw, meaning, it does not come out of the box ready for the MG Midget 1500 as they claim. It hangs two plus inches lower than the frame in their stock configuration which will likely rip off if you bottom out on it. I also decided to use a Thrush cherry bomb as the silencer in the exhaust. I have decided that is a bit vulgar. I will change this soon to something else with more silencing power.

In retrospect I would probably put a flange on the header and down pipe, however I did not want to modify the header because it is so nice and shinny smiling smiley and I didn't want to have to calculate the pitch etc. for the downpipe cut at the bias etc. But something you may want to consider if you do what I have done.

So the entire process of replacing the old header to the new pacesetter and downpipe with new front pipe and exhaust cost about $400 including the exhaust. This does not include my time, the required alcohol and profanity needed to contort my limbs and hands to make this work.

I also opted for the ceramic coating on the header and downpipe which added a hundred dollars so it would have been $300 but then I would have had to strip the system of paint, then apply a high heat coating and all the caveats and time as I am a perfectionist, ... exhausting really.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster