Harley Exhaust on an MG Midget

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3735506 by CountBasey I’m trying to look thru the old posts now for the harley exhaust write-up. If you have a link, I’d be interested.

The flathead muffler looks like a completely different animal so it wouldn't help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
In reply to # 3736339 by GeorgeOhr The flathead muffler looks like a completely different animal so it wouldn't help.

Thanks for the links anyway - I’m not looking for info on the one I bought, at this point I’m considering other options. The flathead exhaust is close to running a straight pipe, it’s fairly loud. If someone was building a street racer or something (with the original 1 1/2” Midget exhaust pipe) it would be perfect, almost no restriction on the exhaust flow, but for me I think I’m going to keep looking.

It was a $59 gamble that looks like it isn’t going to pay off after all. I appreciate the guys at the local motorcycle shop trying to help - but I guess I forgot they were Harley guys and like things loud.

Thomas (Count) Basey
Member of Emerald Necklace MG Register - www.mgcleveland.com

“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3736474 by CountBasey
In reply to # 3736339 by GeorgeOhr The flathead muffler looks like a completely different animal so it wouldn't help.

T. The flathead exhaust is close to running a straight pipe,

My mods to the late model IS 100% straight through and actually quieter than the muffler stock. winking smiley I would be willing to bet it will outflow anything on the market for the stock size pipe and be quieter too. The last link Tom posted is everything you need to know minus the pics (which no longer exist).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 10:34 AM by GeorgeOhr.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
by the way, the original MG straight exhaust (used up through '67) also used a "straight through" muffler

When new they were very quiet, but as they wear through use the fiberglass batting comes out, or gets saturated with carbon, or maybe both, and becomes less effective. After 10k miles or so, can get quite loud.

There are even how to tips on the internet with photos of how people drill a hole in one of the end plates and stuff in new FG bat to restore their quietness.

Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, NH, USA   USA
Any one tried a "SuperTrap" motorcycle muffler? I would love to hear how one of them sound on a Midgetthumbs up

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3736664 by Kerr by the way, the original MG straight exhaust (used up through '67) also used a "straight through" muffler

When new they were very quiet, but as they wear through use the fiberglass batting comes out, or gets saturated with carbon, or maybe both, and becomes less effective. After 10k miles or so, can get quite loud.

There are even how to tips on the internet with photos of how people drill a hole in one of the end plates and stuff in new FG bat to restore their quietness.

Yeah but glass packs are still restrictive; the dimples cause turbulence.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
"Any one tried a "SuperTrap" motorcycle muffler? " Yes, I have, it sounds exactly like the rodded up Honda Civic the neighbor kid races around with. Sound strange on something classic looking.

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
Well, took the car out again yesterday for a drive. Love the looks of the exhaust, but the noise level is just a bit too much for my liking. Removed the flathead exhaust as of yesterday night. I’m off to pursue another muffler project.

Not sure if there will be any interest, but this steel harley exhaust might be good on an auto-cross car, or a daily driver if you want a roar. I’ll post it out in the for sale forum if anyone wants to give it a shot for 1/2 of what I paid. Otherwise it will make a nice boat anchor (now if I only still owned a boat).

Thomas (Count) Basey
Member of Emerald Necklace MG Register - www.mgcleveland.com

“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

zabond Russell Meehan
Neerim East, victoria, Australia   AUS
1966 MG Midget "Bridget"
I have tried 2 different HD mufflers but didn't like either sound, after a close inspection of the orig muffler I noticed that it had been sleeved down from the factory from 1 3/4" to 1 1/2" so I removed the sleeves and turned it into a 1 3/4" straight through [mine is a 1966, 1275 with 1 3/4" extractors fitted] now at idle its a gentle burble, a pleasing low growl at cruising speed and a head turning bark under heavy accelerationspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Russ

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster