AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
Question...

I see folks (on-line) with Harley Davidson motorcycle mufflers on their MG Midgets, and I really like the look and sound (much better looking that my full sized muffler under my back bumper).

I'm really considering making this change since I can find pairs of these mufflers locally on Craigslist (although I only need one) for $50 - $100 all the time. What are the pitfalls or drawbacks I should be aware of? Looks like I currently have a stock resonator followed by the muffler - it appears there is a clamp right before the resonator (thus eliminating it and the muffler both) and I might have to shorten the remaining exhaust pipe (depending on the length of the muffler) to correctly fit it leaving enough pipe sticking out beyond my bumper.

Thoughts? Insights? I'm really ready to move on this.

(Current exhaust below).

Thomas (Count) Basey
Member of Emerald Necklace MG Register - www.mgcleveland.com

“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-11 08:56 AM by CountBasey.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2EFD03D4-B0F6-4163-8994-B3472E0025C1.jpeg    38.4 KB
2EFD03D4-B0F6-4163-8994-B3472E0025C1.jpeg

Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, NH, USA   USA
Tom, I can see only two pitfalls, when installing the Harley muffler. You may have to buy a pipe adapter, to go from the outer diameter of your exhaust, to the inner diameter of the muffler (I called these "goesinto/goesonto's"winking smiley Kid of like a metal vacuum hose connection, without the release button. The only other thing to consider will be some sort of a flexible hanger, for the tail pipe. Most of these exhaust pipes, have a tang or bracket, with a hole that bolts to the frame of the bike. Both the pipe adapter, and the hanger, should be available, at your local auto parts store, in the exhaust section. You may want to try a local motorcycle repair shop, for the used Harley exhaust pipe, it seems the owners of the Harleys, want to put on aftermarket pipe on, as soon as they buy the bike. You should be able to get a pipe, for cheaper than $50.00. My 1977 has a pipe from an FJ1200 Yamaha motorcycle, cause that is what I had in stocksmoking smiley
Sounds nice, not too loud, just a nice "burble"thumbs up
Don't forget the muffler clamps too.

NelsonW Silver Member Nelson W
Medina, OH, USA   USA
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite "Little Mo"
Go to a local Healey dealer and ask for a cast off one. Guys buy new bikes and want a different muffler and the unwanted new one is just set aside. I picked a new one up for ten dollars at a nearby dealer.

Original owner
1962 Sprite "Little Mo"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I've done this and love the sound over the standard config. You'll want the Harley with two threaded bumps that you can use for secure mounting using your existing bracket location before the turn to the rearmost lateral muffler. Discard the second muffler and go with a straight pipe. You will need a reducer (even cheaper from Summit Racing than the exhaust section of your local store). The two threaded bumps gave me ample choices for a bracket of my own design but I'm sure a universal bracket with a good amount of rubber for shock absorption could be found just about anywhere.

Attachments:
Midget Harley Muffler.jpg    1.9 KB
Midget Harley Muffler.jpg

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
All I can say is WOW!

Stumbled into this today and I couldn’t have dreamed of anything easier. Contacted a local motorcycle shop and they don’t keep the cast-offs (returned to customers). But he heard of this “conversion” before and suggested a 1950-1952 Harley Flathead muffler pipe.

Now, the muffler isn’t chrome (sorry for you chrome enthusiasts - I might think about hi-temp black in the near future) but check out the pics below.

- The pipe is designed to flange over 1 1/2” pipe - so no size converter needed. (pic #1)
- The depth is almost exactly the same as the original setup (30”) so no cutting or extending of the muffler or original exhaust pipe needed. (pic #2)
- Since it isn’t chrome, I can use any standard muffler hanger under the trunk anywhere along the pipe. (before and after - pic #3 and #4)

For me it’s perfect - I’ve never had an easier job on this car. Now if the weather would just let me drive it... angry smiley
(And the original setup can go back on in minutes if I change my mind or irritate my neighbors).

Thomas (Count) Basey

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-11 10:04 PM by CountBasey.

Attachments:
22C30B78-F5A6-4526-8400-8566C16C6D2B.jpeg    35.4 KB
22C30B78-F5A6-4526-8400-8566C16C6D2B.jpeg

88C7AD0D-6423-404A-9AD0-F1B75C76AA77.jpeg    41 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
6A1B1679-2BA7-4DA8-82A7-A0A1DB7E2035.jpeg    33.4 KB
C6647D8E-8933-4D2A-B091-EC2B693E66F5.jpeg    36.7 KB
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
Got the Flathead muffler (if you can call it that) installed. It's a bit noisy, but the video below was taken in my garage next to a wall - so the sound is resonating quite a bit. It's actually quieter when I backed it slightly out of the garage (raining today, couldn't drive).

In the short video, its loud during my cold startup (kinda chugs) but I quickly get it up to 1000 RPM and it sounds good. I then let it back off to 700-800 RPM for a bit, one short rev, then bring it up to 2500 - very smooth at cruising speed.

Thomas (Count) Basey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-11 07:11 PM by CountBasey.

swinter06 Avatar
swinter06 Stephen Winter
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
That sounds pretty good! How hard was it to find that muffler?

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
I went to a local custom bike shop. It’s a generic replacement for a 1950-52 Harley Flathead (not an original). You would have to ask a Harley dealer or custom shop near you for the same. I did find out there IS a chrome version, but I wouldn’t have bought it anyway - $140 for the Chrome one, this was their last steel one so I got it for $59 on sale. Even the Chrome one has no hanger mounts on it so I would have hated to wrap the 2 1/2” tailpipe hanger around it like I did on mine (thats the diameter of the actual exhaust housing). Not sure what holds these on the Harleys.

I don’t have money burning a hole in my pocket - but I was willing to give it a shot for $59 since I knew I could always put it back to original in minutes (although I’m not planning on it now).

Thomas (Count) Basey

swinter06 Avatar
swinter06 Stephen Winter
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3734679 by CountBasey I don’t have money burning a hole in my pocket - but I was willing to give it a shot for $59 since I knew I could always put it back to original in minutes (although I’m not planning on it now).

That's a good deal, and a price that I can talk my wife into approving! She thinks I spend too much money on my car, but to be fair she is correct ha.

Stevenp3762 Avatar
Stevenp3762 Steven Pignataro
OAKLAND PARK, FL, USA   USA
Schaweet!!!!!! sounds great!!!

Every saint has a past..... every sinner a future.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
I thought everyone was getting them out of the trash, behind Harley shops, for free (or paying, like $10 or $20 for the take offs).

The late model Harleys mufflers, which are free, have a slightly differently sized pipe diameter, so you also need to pay about $5 for an adaptor pipe piece from the auto parts store.

N

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I did a write up about exactly how to mount the "late" model muffler with no adapter and how to modify the baffle assembly for 100% free flow and still be quieter than stock.

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
I’m trying to look thru the old posts now for the harley exhaust write-up. If you have a link, I’d be interested. The muffler I’m using is just a little too loud on acceleration - not enough that I’m going to put the stock setup back, but I’m always open to other options. The issue is that I don’t want it dead silent either - i like the current burble at cruising speed.

Thomas (Count) Basey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-13 02:33 PM by CountBasey.

recordsj Jason Records
Dundee, OR, USA   USA
I got one for $15 at a dealer also, don't pay more than $20 for these!!!

In reply to # 3734310 by NelsonW Go to a local Healey dealer and ask for a cast off one. Guys buy new bikes and want a different muffler and the unwanted new one is just set aside. I picked a new one up for ten dollars at a nearby dealer.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links