Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Forgot to mention, this should all happen after you install the rebuild kit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I just did mine (including new butterflies, shafts, jets, needles and springs) and the difference was night and day. Before the build it was impossible to tune...it became much easier to make adjustments afterward when all of the parts were new and moving (and fitting) as they should...

In reply to # 3736352 by Poundingsand Do you have a synchro tool? I use the one with the floating ball. Try to get them close as you can with the throttle shaft clamps loose and rhe idle speed where you want it.

I don't know about others but I keep the throttle shaft clamps tightened so I can blip the throttle every now and then to clear the carbs.

After you have them dialed in adjst the clamps so they both open at the same time. That seemed to work for me but I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I simply can NOT understand why HS2 rebuild kits do not come with new throttle shafts. They almost always need to be replaced. I just worked on a car that had "rebuild kits put in the carbs". The owner didn't really understand why I could not get the mixture and idle correct with his freshly "rebuilt" carbs. The throttle shafts were wiggling all over the place.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

Poundingsand Avatar
Hey Trevor. As I recall one kit comes with needles but no shafts, and the other comes with shafts but no needles (the Master rebuild kit). Neither came with springs. The one with shafts had fewer gaskets and they were both close to the same price.

Why not have a kit that has everything???

https://mossmotors.com/rebuild-kit-genuine-su-hs2-for-2-carburetors?gclid=CjwKCAjwiurXBRAnEiwAk2GFZomAOvnP2jAqhH2RZP5sbuFAK2HO5Kas0V9BMqBEEZIXkcZKXj_8XRoCWVoQAvD_BwE

https://mossmotors.com/master-carburetor-rebuild-kit-genuine-su-for-2-carburetors-does-not-include-needles

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tafletcher Travis Fletcher
Lenoir city, TN, USA   USA
I got the master rebuild kit so it does have the shafts. I’ll also have solid butterflies after the rebuild instead of the poppet valves. Only thing that won’t be changed is the needle and they appear to be fine and correct to me. Kit will be delivered tomorrow but likely this weekend until I can work on it

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
That's right ... I totally forgot that there were two "kits".
Sorry, for the unnecessary rant. But yes, one kit with everything would be preferable.

I just checked your links ... one of those goes to the spitfire kit ... I think the jets are different in that one.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 10:15 AM by trevorwj.

Poundingsand Avatar
A couple of things (I don't recall if they are mentioned in the instructions)

Make sure you orient the throttle plates in the correct direction. They have a tapered edge that helps seal the airway when they are fully closed. You want to have the taper facing the right way for this.

Also, tighten the throttle plate screws just about finger tight, then open and close the butterflies a few times to get them centered in the bore before the final tightening.

Take your time and have fun with it. I found it to be a quite enjoyable process.

Poundingsand Avatar
Ha! You are correct - there is a similar kit for the Spridget.

But I agree - I'm not sure why they wouldn't offer a kit with everything...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster