HS2 setup pics and issues

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tafletcher Travis Fletcher
Lenoir city, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3733447 by PeterC Loose ground strap at trans to chassis? If hot would smoke

I checked my ground strap just now and I have a wire going from a bolt on tranny/engine to firewall. It is tight at both ends. That doesn’t seem to be the problem

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
check for spark, just to be sure

check for fuel (if there is a "whoosh" when you open the fuel cap that means your vent is blocked and the engine will only run until the vacuum exceeds the pump's ability)
another check for fuel: open float bowls and make sure they aren't empty (the engine will run until those are drained)

It is going to be one or the other, spark or fuel missing.

One quick update (I didn’t have much time today). I pulled the plugs and they were wet and black. I took them all out and let them air dry and they were just black but not wet after that. I assume this is a case of fuel fouling? I cleaned them up with carb cleaner and put them back in. Held down the gas and tried to start the car and it started but ran ROUGH. Shook during idle and eventually died after about 30 seconds.

Didn’t have time to pursue any further but I thought it was weird that the plugs smelled like fuel but it’s acting like it isn’t getting fuel

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Smoke might an oil leak at the valve cover running down onto the exhaust ... if so, it could result in a fire.

Sounds like it is running rich. Were all plugs equally wet/black, or were the front two different form the back?

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

They all seemed to be equally wet and black

Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Sounds like it might be super rich and quickly fouling the plugs. Did you check the mixture? You may have compensated for the vacuum leak and it left you on the rich side.

Not sure about the smoke though.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
The carbs could be set rich or the fuel pump could be putting out too much pressure and overpowering the float valves.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

Okay I bought new plugs and now the car starts with a very rough idle and the rpm bounces around from 800-1500. I believe I just need to start over with timing and start fresh and see if I can’t get this sorted. I also ordered a carb rebuild kit from Moss

Poundingsand Avatar
Did the smoke go away? And did you play with the mixture at all?

I didn’t get to drive it and the smoke only showed last time after about 3 trips around the block which is likely 1 mile or so. I currently have the mixture at 13 flats from all the way up. It smokes out the tail pipe if I have it less than that and idle is “better” at 13 than 12. That makes it richer though doesn’t it?

Poundingsand Avatar
I believe 12 flats is just the baseline to start at, so 13 flats isn't way out of line. smiling smiley

Just wondering though if it seems to be running rich why I would need to make it richer to run better. Sorry if dumb questions I’m new to this and trying to learn!

Poundingsand Avatar
You and me both Travis! I'm still learning myself...

why do you say you need to make it richer to run better? Do you mean by pulling the choke?

I would start (if you can keep it running) with the timing, and go from there. As for the bouncing idle speed, it's possible that your carbs are adjusted so far apart that they are "fighting" each other...I don't recall you mentioning if you tried balancing the carbs or not...I had a similar issue where one carb was drawing a lot of air and the other almost none...I couldn't tame the idle until I had them somewhat matched...

But start with the timing if you can...

If you’re adjusting more flats down with the jet isn’t that making it richer? That’s what I meant by it runs better richer.

I have not done any synchronizing with the carbs as I’m waiting for my rebuild kit to come in the mail then I will take on the synchronizing of the carbs. Any tips? Which tool is better to use?

Poundingsand Avatar
Do you have a synchro tool? I use the one with the floating ball. Try to get them close as you can with the throttle shaft clamps loose and rhe idle speed where you want it.

I don't know about others but I keep the throttle shaft clamps tightened so I can blip the throttle every now and then to clear the carbs.

After you have them dialed in adjst the clamps so they both open at the same time. That seemed to work for me but I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster