Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Forgot to mention, this should all happen after you install the rebuild kit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I just did mine (including new butterflies, shafts, jets, needles and springs) and the difference was night and day. Before the build it was impossible to tune...it became much easier to make adjustments afterward when all of the parts were new and moving (and fitting) as they should...

In reply to # 3736352 by Poundingsand Do you have a synchro tool? I use the one with the floating ball. Try to get them close as you can with the throttle shaft clamps loose and rhe idle speed where you want it.

I don't know about others but I keep the throttle shaft clamps tightened so I can blip the throttle every now and then to clear the carbs.

After you have them dialed in adjst the clamps so they both open at the same time. That seemed to work for me but I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I simply can NOT understand why HS2 rebuild kits do not come with new throttle shafts. They almost always need to be replaced. I just worked on a car that had "rebuild kits put in the carbs". The owner didn't really understand why I could not get the mixture and idle correct with his freshly "rebuilt" carbs. The throttle shafts were wiggling all over the place.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

Poundingsand Avatar
Hey Trevor. As I recall one kit comes with needles but no shafts, and the other comes with shafts but no needles (the Master rebuild kit). Neither came with springs. The one with shafts had fewer gaskets and they were both close to the same price.

Why not have a kit that has everything???

https://mossmotors.com/rebuild-kit-genuine-su-hs2-for-2-carburetors?gclid=CjwKCAjwiurXBRAnEiwAk2GFZomAOvnP2jAqhH2RZP5sbuFAK2HO5Kas0V9BMqBEEZIXkcZKXj_8XRoCWVoQAvD_BwE

https://mossmotors.com/master-carburetor-rebuild-kit-genuine-su-for-2-carburetors-does-not-include-needles

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tafletcher Travis Fletcher
Lenoir city, TN, USA   USA
I got the master rebuild kit so it does have the shafts. I’ll also have solid butterflies after the rebuild instead of the poppet valves. Only thing that won’t be changed is the needle and they appear to be fine and correct to me. Kit will be delivered tomorrow but likely this weekend until I can work on it

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
That's right ... I totally forgot that there were two "kits".
Sorry, for the unnecessary rant. But yes, one kit with everything would be preferable.

I just checked your links ... one of those goes to the spitfire kit ... I think the jets are different in that one.

It was a Blast!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 10:15 AM by trevorwj.

Poundingsand Avatar
A couple of things (I don't recall if they are mentioned in the instructions)

Make sure you orient the throttle plates in the correct direction. They have a tapered edge that helps seal the airway when they are fully closed. You want to have the taper facing the right way for this.

Also, tighten the throttle plate screws just about finger tight, then open and close the butterflies a few times to get them centered in the bore before the final tightening.

Take your time and have fun with it. I found it to be a quite enjoyable process.

Poundingsand Avatar
Ha! You are correct - there is a similar kit for the Spridget.

But I agree - I'm not sure why they wouldn't offer a kit with everything...

Tafletcher Travis Fletcher
Lenoir city, TN, USA   USA
Carbs are officially rebuilt and synchronized. Have the car idling at 1000 rpms and got to drive it some more today. Need new tires and alignment so not far just in the neighborhood. I drove it twice and when I finished each drive (maybe 5-10 mins each) I had the same smoke as before. I traced it back to the inspection plug on the bellhousing, which is removed. Any ideas as to why the transmission would be smoking? I’m thinking maybe some oil burning off from reinstall (didn’t drain the motor just the tranny last time). Throw the ideas at me!

Also, is the 1275 transmission noisy in nature? I haven’t gotten to drive it much but man that thing seems to be noisy.

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Might be your clutch plate or thrust bearing are on their way out causing them to slip, would be noisy and potentially smokey if the clutch is going.

Back to carbrurettors I've just rebuilt mine and have messed up on the throttle cable linkage set up, you couldn't post some shots of what it should look like could you?

This is mine at the moment

All the best Johnny

Attachments:
20180521_094607.jpg    28.3 KB
20180521_094607.jpg

20180521_094624.jpg    51.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Monk Gold Member Ed D
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
Since we are discussing HS2s, has anyone used some sort of sealant between the rubber-looking insulators and the heat shield that the carbs sit on? Mine have a small air leak and I am reluctant to tighten the nuts too much since the carb bases are aluminum. There is no space for a torque wrench (and I do not have any torque values). Suggestions?

Poundingsand Avatar
Johnny, the end of the solid round shaft should fit into the ends of those hollow "nuts". The lever arm you have in the nut on the left (in the first pic) should sit in the middle of the fork on the left foreground...same with the right side. I'll post a pic of mine if I can find one...

Poundingsand Avatar
Not the greatest picture, but it may help...

Attachments:
CarbLinkage.jpg    44.5 KB
CarbLinkage.jpg

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Ed, those phenolic spacers should have gaskets. So, there should intake-gasket-heatshield-gasket-spacer-gasket-carb.

If the heatshield is bent up or rusty it can make sealing difficult. Use some non-hardening gasket dressing on the gaskets if you like.

This is one area I DO use a spring washer. It keeps adequate load on the assembly and will bite into the carb and carb nuts to hold it all in place.

...c'mon Norm ... I know you have some alternate advice. devil smiley

It was a Blast!

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Many thanks Peer you have confirmed that I put the linkage the wrong way round and I need to turn it 180°. That's the trouble when you leave an idiot on his own on a Sunday afternoon smiling smiley

I have a lovely and very helpful Leyland Workshop manual ( the sort they supplied to garages in the old days). As I am sure this thread will attract a lot of attention I will post the HS2 SU carb bits here. Mines an early model so I've posted the data for Mk1 and Mk2 Midget's (2and 3 Sprites), it includes later model stuff if anyone is interested.
Sorry could find as yet any torque settings for carbs.

Many thanks for help
All the best Johnny Warner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-21 09:26 AM by johnnyw637.

Attachments:
20180521_150248.jpg    52.3 KB
20180521_150248.jpg

20180521_150255.jpg    62 KB
20180521_150308.jpg    65.7 KB
20180521_150315.jpg    69.5 KB
20180521_150331.jpg    45.5 KB
20180521_150340.jpg    38 KB
20180521_150739.jpg    37.4 KB
20180521_150747.jpg    28.8 KB
Monk Gold Member Ed D
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
That would seem to be the problem, no gasket! I have a new heat shield and the mating surfaces are flat. I’ll make a gasket for the missing piece and all should be well. Thanks!

Update:

I have removed the carbs, made six gaskets and all is back together. Do not have time to start and check my work but will do so as soon as time permits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-21 11:59 AM by Monk.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster