AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dogeddie Avatar
dogeddie Silver Member Andy L
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Sure - my son has them on his Subaru too. Here's an ad

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LTLRED4 Jim Ance M.
Petoskey, MI, USA   USA
1964 Austin-Healey Sprite "LTLRED4"
Been running the Tiger Paws 155/80/13’s for three summers without any issues. But then again not a lot of fast highway driving. Mostly around town and short trips of 30 or so miles at 60mph.

midget73 Avatar
midget73 Dwayne M
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
1971 Mercedes-Benz W114
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Rhett"
1996 BMW Z3 "Miss Scarlett"
I have Sears Gaurdmans on mine. I think they were $28 a tire. Have Gaurdmans on the wifes BMW X5,my daughters Cavalier and my S10 truck. Love them and ride great.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3733317 by littlecars Uniroyal is still in business? I gotta get out more. I haven't heard that name since the old ads with the people named Uni, Roy, and Al!!!

Uniroyal was bought by Michelin back in the 90s. Most of them are made right here local to to me.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3733252 by zork You discuss designation UTQG. What is it and where do I find it. I see nothing like that
on the sidewalls. So, I don't really know what I have. They did balance perfectly
(on the car balancing) and smooth and straight down the road.
'67 Sprite with stock rims.
Thx
Gary

Yes it on the sidewall of your tire, the below links will educate more on this. In a nutshell the lower the UTQG the better the dry weather grip, this is important for our small lightweight cars, especially if you drive them spiritually. Let's look at one extreme to another. Let's say you have a large SUV, that weight 500 pounds you drive everyday and commute a fair distance to work each day, then not only would good wet and dry grip be important to you, but also durability, a tire for this application would have a higher UTQG or treadwear rating maybe as high as 700-800, and maybe even a high mileage warranty. OK now let's look at your MG Midget, this car is driven for pleasure, and normally only gets 2000-3000 miles a year of driving, it very lightweight by today's standards, well under 2000 pounds. This car will age out it's tire normally long before the tread is worn, it also benefits from a softer rubber compound that will help it grip better, so you would not want the same tire as your heavy SUV, so UTQG under 500 suit this vehicle much better. Now I'' talk about the extremes of high traction, DOT approved track day/race tires, the Nitto NT-01s I run on my MGB vintage race car are rated at 100AA, this would be a case where ultimate grip is way more important than longevity. My thinking on this, if you are not going wear out the tire before it ages out, then on these lightweight cars, getting very grippy tire is very smart move.

https://info.kaltire.com/utqg-ratings/

http://www.tirereview.com/utqg-ratings-unfurled/

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/wheels-tires/sstp-1004-premium-performance-tire-buyers-guide/

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
zork Avatar
zork Gold Member Gary Robinson
N.ft.myers, FL, USA   USA
Thanks ! ! Here is everything that is on the tire....except for the safety warnings, etc.
Ironman GR906 (Hercules) 155/80R13 76T Treadwear 440, Traction A, Temperature A, M&S
Does this somehow relate to UTQG ?
Sorry to be a nuisance, but would really like to figure it out and are they appropriate for my Sprite ?
Thanks again.
Gary

Speedracer Avatar
Yep, Treadwear 440, Traction A, Temperature A That is a good tire for your Midget.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
padutchmidget Richard W
Landisville, PA, USA   USA
I have been following the discussion and advice on several of these tire threads. I did some research on 155/80r13 tires and I found Evergreen EH22s. I believe they are U.K. produced, their website says they are made for light weight economical cars, their U.T.Q.G. rating is 360AA. I am wondering what the people in the know think of these.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 10:03 AM by padutchmidget.

NYCCharlie Avatar
NYCCharlie Charles Linn
Lawrence, KS, USA   USA
In reply to a post by Hal ...especially if you drive them spiritually.

I always drive spiritually. I pray that I get home with no problems. smiling smiley

Anyway, seems like my 175/70/13s are Firestone's. I bought them maybe six years ago. But, to tell the truth, I'm afraid I am just not sensitive to all the drivability issues people cite here. The car goes in a straight line and that is that. I did rebuild my entire suspension front and rear, though. I am sure that must help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 10:34 AM by NYCCharlie.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster