Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dogeddie Avatar
dogeddie Silver Member Andy L
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
They are only like $35 at Walmart - anyone have any history with these tires on a Midget?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I think you've answered your own question. Would you rely on $35 tires from Wal-Mart on your family-hauler? Unless you are looking for something to roll your car with, or to resell the car, I would bump up your budget by at least another $20-30. I seem to come across Milestar on a lot of junkers in the salvage yard.

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Valid point - thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
58custom Avatar
58custom Tom Crocker
Santa Clarita, SoCal, USA   USA
I have wiped the treads off of a couple of Milestar sets. They are a fine tire but short lived when you like to throw the car around. I used them with tubes when I had wires and with steel wheels. I wore them out, they didn't fail me. If you like the price they are OK. I have Douglas Xtra Trac II now and don't consider them any different.

About all 155-80R13s are all season tires in the US and so don't have a lot of grip. Don't know where you will find real performance 155s (or 165s or 175s). Availability seems to get worse every year. I have a set of vintage US Mag (Daisy style) alloys now just sitting around and would like to try some 165-70/13s and don't know where to look for real performance tires in the US. I won't bother to put on all season tires.

1969 MG Midget with Datsun A15/5 speed

jonbok Avatar
jonbok Silver Member Jon Bok
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
I've had them on my Sprite for a few years and they've served me well. They still show very little wear, and I suspect they will age out before they wear out. I drive "spirited" but not too hard. I like the look of the whitewall, and I'm sure they are better than the bias-ply doughnuts that came with the car when it was new. That said, there are probably "better" tires out there, but these work fine for me.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
What size for starters, as person who spent a good bit of my life in the tire business, you can't buy a bad tire today for the most part, and most of the good tires for our small cars today are made in Asia, and often a lot better than the brands name you may recognize. Chances are your local tire is clueless about these offerings, as all he all he does all day long is put tires on SUVs. You would like tire with lower UTQG rating (treadwear) because that means softer rubber for your lightweight sport car.

I gonna plug in 175/70/13 H rated and see what comes up on Google, you'll probably be shocked.

this is good, Doral is quickly making name for itself as good little performance, also Doral is a sister company to Sumitomo. This 400AB UTQG

https://www.tires-easy.com/175-70-13/doral-tires/sdl-a/tirecode/5713000?gclid=CjwKCAjwlcXXBRBhEiwApfHGTbZd--77ptjG9Fv-LDLkuPkXwja2JuIbovtXDJGagliA3fKaHxpMbhoCjB0QAvD_BwE

Now this would be a nice little performance tire for a MIdget, with a vintage look, but Coker tires are not cheap, this tire is 260 AB

http://www.vulcantire.com/tire_detail/sprint_classic_t.htm_10821?refad=GooProdAds10821&c1=GAW_SE_NW&source=USA_PLA&kw=Vredestein_Sprint_Classic&cr6=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwlcXXBRBhEiwApfHGTVB4Si4KZrlYjWoN1Zg2q9w4-MzLxl2QlBbl7Rp4NkaU75dEnNU9cRoCjsMQAvD_BwE

Here's another tire company making nice little performance tires for small car and selling tons of them world wide where people drive little cars. I seen these toire firsthand in the warehouse, nice rubber,and most of these are 420AA,and they also make 165/70/13

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELINTE-Tire-175-70R-13-82T-DH2-All-Season-Performance/232596080039?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D177a414039544f93a35c0547752624c8%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D10%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D163023352127%26itm%3D232596080039&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

Company website, more info on tire.

https://delintetires.com/tires/dh2/

AS for the Milestar MS775 tire, it not terrible choice, it has 480AB rating

Here's another great offering, Federal Tire is another tire making a name for itself, they are the spec tire on Legends race cars. listed at both 360 UTQG on the factory website,and 420 on Tire Easy

https://www.tires-easy.com/175-70-13/federal-tires/ss-657/tirecode/127F3A?gclid=CjwKCAjwlcXXBRBhEiwApfHGTa6TxckJ5wYViIu3MiQV7fPgkN_YnUvavQSEgX3XJ8atup3pfGcqjRoC_isQAvD_BwE

factory website

http://www.federaltire.com/en/products_detail.php?class=PCR&products_detail_sn=15

Bottom line avoid anything higher than 500 UTQG , and look hard at anything under 400 UTQG. Oh and anyone telling you good 13" tires are hard to find, well then they are not very good at internet searching, because there are enough choices to boggle the mind.
For the longest time I tried to support brick and mortar businesses, but less these days, because they never have what I need, or want, it's too damn easy these days to find what you want online and get good prices, and either free, or inexpensive shipping. I would say, well over 50% of what I buy today is online, because I get what I want/need.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-08 07:53 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Wow - thanks for the help!

mrmg1965 Avatar
mrmg1965 Gold Member Steve Strublic
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
2011 Mini Cooper S "Nigel Whitworth"
Hap,

I just posted a request for recommendations on tires--how did I miss this? Thanks.

Steve

http://midget.strublic.net

Speedracer Avatar
Glad I could help. The easiest way theses days is plug your size into Google, then click on the shopping tab, for example I search for "175/70/13 H speed rated tires", that way I get everything in the size, but also any H rated tires too, which may be softer rubber. If you go to just one site like Tire Rack for example you just see a very small part of the total picture.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
My son raced his US Legends car (scaled down modified stock cars with 1200cc Yamaha power) for six years on Federal tires with NO tire-related issues. ZERO.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3731919 by Speedracer What size for starters, as person who spent a good bit of my life in the tire business, you can't buy a bad tire today for the most part,

I had THREE bad sets in a row of the same brand over the course of about 5 years and it drove me nuts! This was on the wife's car. The car would drift back and forth and felt like something was loose or bad. Changed tires three times along the way of replacing EVERYTHING in the front end and suspension with no improvement.

Luckily I had a buddy's balancing machine here and when I went to balance her "new" tires with only 5K on them I saw what was going on. Not was the tread not true and had runout in excess of 1/2", the contact surface would twist back and forth like one sidewall was way to short and the other was way too long. This was not caused by the runout problem.

I used to sell and install tires too (at the same place I bought these from) and have NEVER seen anything like this before on a new set of tires much less on THREE sets over such a long course of time. I was able to swap the for some BF Goodrich Long trails made in USA ans I haven't had a tire problem since.

I've seen lots of tires over the past 10 years with runout problems to the point I absolutely HATE buying new tires with a passion. I will never buy tires from anyone other than the installer. That way I can make sure i don't get stuck with crap again. I always watch when mine are being balanced to make sure they are true and you wouldn't believe how bad out of balance "new" tires are allowed to be installed by the installer balancing them. I'm not talking about trueness alone. I've seen several tires pulled off the machine without a 0.00.

Then again; I do have the worst luck when it comes to always getting the dumbest assclown in company history.

Speedracer Avatar
George that would be a oddity, more than the norm, or what I am talking about. In fact the worse tire company I ever dealt as for factory tire adjustment was Michelin, this in the 80s and 90s. What I referring to rubber compound. I tried to get all of all of my tires balanced on Hunter Road Force balancer, the guy that bought my shop has one, it pretty high tech, it will tell the tech in what position to mount the tire on the rim, which will let it take the least weight. Bottom line on my NIttos on the race car I don't get a balance shake and that all the way up to right at 130 mph, I also use this for street car, because travel on the interstate these days 80-90 mph, and I do it too, again no shake at 90+ mph.

At the end of the day, non of this has anything to do with brand name and adjustments on tire these day is way less than it was in my day in tire bizz.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
zork Avatar
zork Gold Member Gary Robinson
N.ft.myers, FL, USA   USA
You discuss designation UTQG. What is it and where do I find it. I see nothing like that
on the sidewalls. So, I don't really know what I have. They did balance perfectly
(on the car balancing) and smooth and straight down the road.
'67 Sprite with stock rims.
Thx
Gary

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
My local guy got me Uniroyal Tiger Paws 155/80-13 for $50 a tire, and $20 each to install and balance. So I went that way.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Uniroyal is still in business? I gotta get out more. I haven't heard that name since the old ads with the people named Uni, Roy, and Al!!!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster