Front Brake Line Mystery/Question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jlloydparks Joshua Parker
Central VA, USA   USA
So I bought a steel brake line kit from Moss. Me and a couple of friends went to install it today and the front lines don’t match. The lines from Moss have the banjo style coupling, but my caliper has a straight style fitting. Does anyone have an idea about what is going on here? Do I have some weird replacement calipers on the car? Did I get the wrong lines from Moss? I have been left with a puzzle and any help would be appreciated. I have a ‘73 midget for reference.

Good news is the rear brake rebuild kit from spridget mania went on great today. Tightened up the rear brakes quite a bit, but now I notice I need a new rear suspension, the springs are flat with no load and the return straps are shot. Any recommendation for a good rebuild kit there?

Thanks, Josh

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
The calipers must have banjo bolts. Anything else is wrong or the calipers are.

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Peter. I think he said the STEEL LINE has Banjo fittings, that is not right. The steel Line should attach to a Rubber hose which has the banjo fittings. .?? smileys with beer

Member Services:
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Ok. SAMANTICS.?? Are we talking about STEEL BRAKE LINES,as in stock lines from the Master Cylinder ..? or “STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES”, which would replace the RUBBER ONES, at the caliper .?, than yes something is AMISS .??smileys with beer

Member Services:
jlloydparks Joshua Parker
Central VA, USA   USA
These are the stainless steel braided brake lines that go to the caliper. They have a banjo head, but the caliper does not. The current rubber hose at the caliper has a straight fitting. I’ll try to get a picture later today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 05:19 AM by jlloydparks.

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
Sounds like you must have an aftermarket caliper.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
More likely he has incorrect aftermarket rubber hoses. The guy at the parts store said "These will fit. Throw them damn banjo bolts away". :-)

In reply to # 3717756 by jmac Sounds like you must have an aftermarket caliper.

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
JOSHUA: 1973 Midget uses a brake Hose (Or Stainless One) WITH a BANJO Fitting, Like Peter Said. It is the right part for the car. WRONG CALIPER. A friend of mine runs a MG Midget Auto Cross Car 1973, and He has MGB Calipers on it. Bigger brakes. I think Winners Circle sells an adapter kit. BUT WHY WORRY, if the calipers are in good shape, exchange the hoses for the ones that will work and enjoy the bigger brakes. ??????Hey smileys with beer

Member Services:
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I'm betting with Rick. I'll bet the hose's he has have been screwed into the caliper where the bolt that normally holds the banjo should go.

Kurt

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Don't think so, Way different threads (Hose / Banjo Bolt) thumbs down

Member Services:
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Joe,

There's more than one kind of hose available.

In reply to # 3718105 by oleanderjoe Don't think so, Way different threads (Hose / Banjo Bolt) thumbs down

PeterC Avatar
probably doesn't have the retainer brackets for the correct hose/banjo setup. Let's all calm down and get a picture.

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Some of us have the correct hose/banjo setup and don't use the retainer brackets. smiling smiley

In reply to # 3718126 by PeterC probably doesn't have the retainer brackets for the correct hose/banjo setup. Let's all calm down and get a picture.

PeterC Avatar
Think about the hose rotating and unscrewing the bolt................................

In reply to # 3718129 by refisk Some of us have the correct hose/banjo setup and don't use the retainer brackets. smiling smiley

In reply to # 3718126 by PeterC probably doesn't have the retainer brackets for the correct hose/banjo setup. Let's all calm down and get a picture.

Member Services:
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
??? Don't understand. All Sprite/Midget use either a Rubber Hose or the Stainless Steel (Now Available) ones. Both styles utilize a BANJO Fitting and Banjo bolt that screws into the caliper. A different kind of hose could not work for "Two Reasons" # 1, I don't think the threads would match, and if they did, the hose would stick directly out from the caliper and you could not turn the wheel "Lock-Lock" without ripping the hose off. # 2 I don't know of an "Adapter" available to create the angle needed to use an alternate hose. confused smiley

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster