AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Figman123 Avatar
Figman123 Silver Member Herivan Figueroa
Harvest, AL, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "FIG72"
I'm posting trying to get opinions about upgrading to a 5 speed gearbox, currently moss auto it selling it for about $4,799.00. It's a lot of money! but right now my current transmission is leaking like crazy and I thought instead of rebuilding it just get a conversion one from moss. So what you guys think? It's worth it?

Mr. Fig

Mr. Fig
FIG72

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Using Gerard's Datsun conversion, it'll run you ~$2500 if you can find a trans for ~$1000 or so. The Ford kit, if I'm not mistaken, does require modification of the car's structure, which the Datsun conversion does not.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

Rotaglide Avatar
Rotaglide Gold Member Eric Z
Kressbronn, BW, Germany   DEU
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Zoey"
4.800$ is a little bit expensive, and Datsun gearboxes are hard to find.

Cheaper and easier would be to order the conversion kit direct at Frontline development in GB for 808£ and a reconditend T9 gearbox also on GB (they start around 600£). Even with transport and custom fees it will be cheaper.

The 2 problems with the Ford T9 are that you have to modify the crossmember, because the Ford gearbox is longer and that the shifter is further back, but modified gearboxes are available so that the shifter will be in the right position.

Genomic Location for MGA Gene:

Chromosome:15
Start:41,621,224 bp from pter
End:41,773,081 bp from pter
Size:151,858 bases
Orientation: Plus strand

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
There's always a couple Datsun gearboxes on ebay and can often be found on Craigslist also. It's also possible to find them in breaker yards like pick n pulls. I know where there are several for sale right now. I have people telling me they find them all the time. Hard to find?... only if you are not making any effort to look.

The T9 requires a lot of chassis mods (cutting cross member,) requires a custom driveshaft and you're still stuck using the stock clutch. It weighs approximately double the Datsun gearbox and more than twice the stock gearbox.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-14 02:10 PM by pixelsmithusa.

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
Anybody know where there's a 79-82 210 5 speed for sale?
GB

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
I have found and passed on four or five to forum members. The Arizona, NM, and southern CO pull-n-pays get them infrequently, but it does happen. They have an 'alert me' feature but it works in consistently. But it's worth a try.

Best thing to do with your local import yard is to get to know the buyer, because if he/she doesn't know you're looking for one, it'll come in and go straight to the crusher for scrap. I convinced the local pull-n-pay not to do that with a '72 Midget a few years back, and he was happily surprised when it was picked nearly clean--and mostly by folks other than me. I think I took a pedal box and some other odds and ends, but others escaped with nearly every other hard part and a few of the panels before they crushed it.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
taskadog Avatar
taskadog Phil Burke
Tequesta, FL, USA   USA
If anyone comes across a 4 speed or a blown 5 speed, let me know.
I'm searching for parts
thanks, Phi

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
CALL these guys. http://www.gandrautowreckers.com

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

Figman123 Avatar
Harvest, AL, USA   USA
Phil

The transmission currently in my MG Midget was rebuilt, tomorrow (Monday) I'm taking the car back to the shop and have them honor their warranty. However, I'm still planning to upgrade to 5 speed. After I get the transmission fix, if you still looking for a 4 speed I could probably sell it to you. Let me know...

Fig

Mr. Fig
FIG72

Figman123 Avatar
Harvest, AL, USA   USA
I browsed "Frontline Development" and found what you see in the pic and emailed them asking about the 5 speed conversion, apparently the kit starts at 808 British pounds, and to be honest is way too cheap! Well will see.. more to follow Mate! :-)

Mr. Fig

Mr. Fig
FIG72

Attachments:
2018-04-15.jpg    19.7 KB
2018-04-15.jpg

Windrideror Avatar
Windrideror Carl Rosenburg
Redmond, OR, USA   USA
Fig, Their kit does not include the transmission that you will need or the shorter tail shaft that will be required to have the shifter come up in the correct location.
This kit will require you to locate a t-5 transmission and a shorter tail shaft for installation into the Midget. Not sure what the tail shaft is off of but someone will chime in I'm sure. Oh and you will have to make modifications to the car to fit the kit into the car.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
I don't believe the rear extension is off anything other gearbox. The extension housing need to be cut and shortened by several inches, as do the shift rods, then the steel and aluminum bits need to be welded back together. Somewhere I saw a write-up on the process... not something for the typical shadetree mechanic.

In reply to # 3717301 by Windrideror Not sure what the tail shaft is off of but someone will chime in I'm sure.

Gerard

Rotaglide Avatar
Rotaglide Gold Member Eric Z
Kressbronn, BW, Germany   DEU
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Zoey"
In reply to # 3717301 by Windrideror
This kit will require you to locate a t-5 transmission...

Not a T5 (this is the V8 gearbox for the MGB etc.), a T9 from a Ford Sierra 2.l (1986-1992, I think the Sierra was named Mercury in the US) is needed.

There are 4 different input shafts which where used with this gearbox, the correct T9 is the one with the 175mm input shaft (and I have one that I don't need).

BTW, the Moss conversion kit is the Frontline Kit but with the gearbox included.

Genomic Location for MGA Gene:

Chromosome:15
Start:41,621,224 bp from pter
End:41,773,081 bp from pter
Size:151,858 bases
Orientation: Plus strand

tim65mgb Avatar
tim65mgb Silver Member Tim Guntly
Cherry Valley, IL, USA   USA
1960 Daimler V8-250 "SP250"
1980 MG MGB
2007 Mazda MX-5 NC "The Mistress"
2013 Ford Edge
I was looking at this and decided an rebuilt overdrive transmission from Quantum Mechanics is the best deal. I noticed Datsun gearboxes are getting pricey. My 4 speed has only 9000 miles on it, so for now I'm just running it. May be by next winter I'll be able to do the O.D swap.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Yes, and while these are plentiful in the UK and Europe, very few were ever imported to the US. If you think Datsun gearboxes are hard to find, try finding one of these in the states. The vehicle was a "Mercur", not "Mercury". Mercury is an an extinct Ford division car, but back when these were imported to the states and Mercury still existed, they were badged as Fords. Mercur was a model, not a brand.

In reply to # 3717307 by Rotaglide
In reply to # 3717301 by Windrideror
This kit will require you to locate a t-5 transmission...

Not a T5 (this is the V8 gearbox for the MGB etc.), a T9 from a Ford Sierra 2.l (1986-1992, I think the Sierra was named Mercury in the US) is needed.

Gerard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 12:55 PM by pixelsmithusa.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links