AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

woolfman Avatar
woolfman Wolf B
Vienna, Vienna, Austria   AUT
1964 MG Midget "The Tart"
Hello there,

today was the first day with completely new set up carbs - I had a sticky one last year, so I took them off a week ago.

What did I do:
-recentering the jets, both drop nicely
-there is no nothing binding, nothing gets "stuck"
-rebalancing airflow for both carbs
-oil in dampers
-floats are moving fine and close when they should
-all return springs are mounted where they should be (3 for gas, 2 for choke, 5 in total)
-idle speed around 1000rpm

Now here is my problem:
After an uninterrupted cruise when I shift out of gear (early enough) idle speed drops, but to around 1200-1500, even when I put my foot of the pedal in 2nd gear it will stay there!
However, when I blip the throttle lightly, it will drop to 1000 again.

What is causing this? Did someone have the same problem?

Thanks for any help. This is really annoying....

Cheers,
Wolf
http://www.drivetribe.com/t/d73p9OJcQs6U2DVBtPE6Jg/SYS-PGjQR8CKg_5iHuZEnQ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-14 11:58 AM by woolfman.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Check your accelerator cable, if it binds in the housing, it can cause a high idle like you describe. It can be caused by a pinching of the housing, or too short of a housing with tight bends in it. Also can be caused by the bonnet pushing down on a too long housing. I've had both scenarios.
HTH,

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

Statestreet Avatar
Statestreet John Lockwood
Tucson AZ, USA   USA
Can't speak directly to your 64, but I had a similar problem in my 1500. After I'd run for a while and then come to a stop the idle would stay about 2000 RPM. Tracked it down to the throttle cable worn out. The outside sleeving had gotten damaged and allowed the steel cable to flex more than it should. A new throttle cable cured the problem.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dte948 Avatar
dte948 DAVE ENSIGN
CLAVERACK, NY, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget Conversion "MIDGET Aka Woodie"
Are you talking about idle at clutch in vs clutch out?

Midgets arn't hard to fix, there just easy to break!

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Sounds like classic throttle shaft wear to me. Or the fuel level in the bowl is too high.

Pete

woolfman Avatar
woolfman Wolf B
Vienna, Vienna, Austria   AUT
1964 MG Midget "The Tart"
Thanks for all input so far. I will check for the throttle cable - I never heard of it being a problem. I replaced it last year, so I thought everything is fine; will check, if this could indeed be the issue.

Cheers,
Wolf
http://www.drivetribe.com/t/d73p9OJcQs6U2DVBtPE6Jg/SYS-PGjQR8CKg_5iHuZEnQ

mrmg1965 Avatar
mrmg1965 Gold Member Steve Strublic
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
I second (well, fourth) the throttle cable. Even a new cable can bind if too long.

Steve

http://midget.strublic.net

MGB777 Avatar
MGB777 Tim Smith
Oregon, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "The "Abbey"
1960 Triumph TR3A "Patch's"
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Little Bro"
1977 MG MGB "Big Brother"    & more
Make sure all your pedal linkage isn't binding on you ,,,,,, when the incident occurs next time if you haven't fixed it already pull up on the pedal with your toe and see if it quits doing it. Lube all pivoting parts on your linkage and lube cable

Dutch 1960 Avatar
Dutch 1960 Mark Holland
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Pedal linkage bushings under the dashboard were my problem. Lubricate them anyway, so if they aren’t the problem now, they won’t become one later on.

flat350 Avatar
flat350 Steve Alleman
Schaumburg, IL, USA   USA
Had a similar problem,the small little plate in the middle of the throttle linkage was ever so slightly rubbing on the heat shield where it had a little bump.Pushed the bump in with my thumb and it went away.

1971 MG Midget MKIII

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster