Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

edforrest Avatar
edforrest Ed Forrest
Atlanta Metro, USA   USA
Moving forward...and at a stop point this week.

I am trying to get oil pressure in the 1275 before starting it. I have changed the filter ( finally found one ) and filled it with oil. I have tried to "prime" the oil gallery at the oil pressure sender. I am spinning it on the starter...no plugs. I DO NOT LIKE THIS...but it's where I am.

1.) How can I "prime" the oil pump? There is the big nut with the oil pressure relief valve...is that in direct line with the oil pump? I can't remember...

2.) I have primed the oil pressure line,,,

3.) I have primed the line from the side of the block to the filter...

Suggestions? ...and...many thanks...ed

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Ed- There's a plug on the other side of the block under the rear exhaust runner that can be used to prime the pump-it accesses teh pickup line to the pump-IIRC, its a 3/4" hex. Fill there, tighten and turn the engine over, you should get pressure.
You've been filling the oil system downstream of the oil pump, not on the pickup side. Thus your lack of pressure.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

edforrest Avatar
edforrest Ed Forrest
Atlanta Metro, USA   USA
Thank you!! Now I remember...whew...thank you!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
edforrest Avatar
edforrest Ed Forrest
Atlanta Metro, USA   USA
Mark...

Just to be clear...the 9C/CG and 1100 blocks have the oil galley plug on the HORIZONAL surface. On the 1275...it's on the VERTICAL surface...right? Now the question is: what technique do you use? I have pumped oil into the galley...hoping it's not a water-galley...twice. Still no oil pressure. Suggetions...this feels good...just not sure I have it right!!

Many thanks...ed

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
This article on A-series lubrication says the 948 and 1098 have an oil galley plug on the left side of the engine for priming the pump. The article says the 1275 does not have this port.

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/lubrication/

In reply to # 3717182 by edforrest Mark...

Just to be clear...the 9C/CG and 1100 blocks have the oil galley plug on the HORIZONAL surface. On the 1275...it's on the VERTICAL surface...right? Now the question is: what technique do you use? I have pumped oil into the galley...hoping it's not a water-galley...twice. Still no oil pressure. Suggetions...this feels good...just not sure I have it right!!

Many thanks...ed

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Ed- was that the block drain that you removed? The pictures in the article that Rick posted shows only a block drain on the 1275. I may have steered you wrong, all of my experience is with 9C/CG.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
Garland, TX, USA   USA
the 1275 does not have an oil gallery port under the exhaust. There's a plug there but it's the water jacket and you do not want to put oil in there.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I've always had good luck just removing the banjo bolt where the line to the filter connects to the block. pour or pump oil in there , put the car in high gear, push it backwards to get oil to the pump if that is necessary. I've never had to do that but I have jacked up the passenger side of the car to help the oil run to where its needed. I've used that on a couple of 1098's and a 948 as well as a 1275. Lots easier to get to than the prime plug.

Kurt

autocomman mark w
lost angy, USA   USA
I dont see why you cant put a couple drops of oil in each cylinder and spin with the starter till you get pressure. You filled the oil filter, you can crank for 15 sec at a time with no issue. It should build pressure with in 30-45 sec. Never had an issue priming one by spinning it.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3718086 by S1 Elan I've always had good luck just removing the banjo bolt where the line to the filter connects to the block. pour or pump oil in there , put the car in high gear, push it backwards to get oil to the pump if that is necessary. I've never had to do that but I have jacked up the passenger side of the car to help the oil run to where its needed. I've used that on a couple of 1098's and a 948 as well as a 1275. Lots easier to get to than the prime plug.

Kurt

This is the easiest way and it works really well since you can get to the banjo bolt.
Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3718272 by autocomman I dont see why you cant put a couple drops of oil in each cylinder and spin with the starter till you get pressure. You filled the oil filter, you can crank for 15 sec at a time with no issue. It should build pressure with in 30-45 sec. Never had an issue priming one by spinning it.

If an A series sets for a few years its pretty common to lose prime to the oil pump. You can spin the engine for longer than I would want dry bearings to be spun. Easier on things just to break down and prime.

edforrest Avatar
edforrest Ed Forrest
Atlanta Metro, USA   USA
17 April:

Kurt-Mar-Rick-Chris...

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I "oiled" the water jacket...but I doubt it will hurt it! I am laughing my butt off...as my 1st job was with Prestone in Tech Services!!yll

What is helping me most...and I appreciate it from all...is the encouragement. I will spray some oil in the cylinders...also do the IMPOSSIBLE and remove the oil pressure relief valve and make sure that is seating.

Over the years...I think we ALL have had this paranoia about oil pressure. Thanks to all...I'll let you know...may be a few days...it will come up!

ed

66Sprite Avatar
66Sprite David R
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
On a related issue to this how does the air in the small line to the oil pressure gauge get purged? Is there an air bleed mechanism in the oil pressure gauge?

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
no idea, I don't think it ever does get purged, it just works (or, at least, it always has on mine)

As I recall, pressure is pressure, so long as it is pretty steady. The only time air in a fluid line is trouble is when trying to change the pressure a lot, in a small time (like in a brake or a clutch line).

N

jamesm5858 Avatar
jamesm5858 James Moore
Kent, OH, USA   USA
As odd as it sounds a few years ago when I was resurrecting my '76 , to get pressure I had to fill the pump with petroleum jelly which allowed the pump to fill the lines and established the pressure.JM

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links