AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3716975 by Twomoons Joel,
Not fiberglass. did it with a millermatic 120 just for the fun of it back when I had WAY too much time on my hands. My idea was to build it in such a way that I could swap it out with a Bugeye bonnet whenever the mood struck. built a bracket in the nose and a couple pins to attach and pivot forward. I had a cable attached from the bonnet to driver side inner fender to limit travel of the bonnet. tried it out with a friends bugeye bonnet and It worked well, was easy to swap, but I never did get Bugeye bonnet of my own.

Ron,

I'm intrigued. Someone posted a DIY reverse-opening hood a while back, and I like that better than the stock configuration. But the access from having the whole front end tip up would be Nirvana. I just bought a nice Hobart and have been getting up to speed to make the 3/16" mounts for my DIY supercharger project. I may bug you about details down the road a bit, if you don't mind. That's really cool.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Only two wipers too.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
I have been thinking of doing the same to the Colonel, Had a clean spair front ( fenders and hood ) but let them go with the parts car after it was no longer needed. Oh well some day!

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

Attachments:
003.JPG    60.7 KB
003.JPG

Twomoons Ron H
BUFFALO, WY, USA   USA
I think it's pulling a wagon in Kansas.

(Lone Wadie - The Outlaw Josie Wales)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Joel, I moded my hood for a frt opening maybe you have seen it posted? Big bytes, hope it gets through. If you need more PM me. BLUF, it allows much better access to the engine than even a total hood pivot. My 67 will have the same set up.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Attachments:
71 hood open with cables visable.JPG    54.6 KB
71 hood open with cables visable.JPG

71 looking into engine bay at heater.JPG    58 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
71 MG cable mount lft fender.JPG    40.2 KB
71 MG Hood inside top view.JPG    33.7 KB
71 MG lft frt hood hinge.JPG    36.9 KB
71 MG Hood Hinge view from inside.JPG    31.2 KB
71 looking over rht fender.JPG    45.3 KB
71 hood open.JPG    49.9 KB
71 Hood cables frt left.JPG    60 KB
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3717668 by ice Joel, I moded my hood for a frt opening maybe you have seen it posted? Big bytes, hope it gets through. If you need more PM me. BLUF, it allows much better access to the engine than even a total hood pivot. My 67 will have the same set up.

Larry - thanks for refreshing my memory. I believe it was your car I was talking about.

In looking at these photos, I can see that you're right about the access being excellent. And doing this would certainly be easier than the welding and reconfiguring necessary for Ron's very cool setup.

You know, I think the only thing I may add would be the hydraulic struts I picked up to do Mini Cobra's DIY project. I will PM you about this, as the discomfort in accessing the battery, etc., is on of the few things I dislike about this car's design. Also, I've got the bonnet off to R&R the engine to swap the crank pulley when my CNC shop gets around to doing the run. So, might be a good time to do it.

Joel

Member Services:
73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
Garland, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3716490 by 76lucas You have a 1500 75-79. I couldn't tell on my phone at first. The front end gives it away. Your's has the two holes in the bottom valance which could have been changed. But the two horns sticking thru the grille area all 1500. They are what the rubber bumpers mounted to. I would guess that someone started to either eliminate them or do a conversion to chrome.

But the extra frame rails for a 1500 are missing. I think it's just the front valance that is 1500 derived.

ice Avatar
Joel, yep no problem removing the battery and like you said easier than welding up the hood and two fenders into a pivoting unit. No wiring to mess with either! The only thing that I noticed about doing the hood this way is you can't just open the hood and walk away. Any wind at all might cause the hood to slam closed. The two cables keep it attached fine w/o wind.
Not sure about the hydraulic struts though. Jack Orkin and I tried to install a set on his 74 car and we were never able to get them to work correctly. The kind he bought were too strong for the hood and would have bent it if we had tried to close the hood. Let us know how your strut solution would work on a Midget.
thnx

Pics, pics pics!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
You can't use the stock grill either.

In reply to # 3718027 by ice Joel, yep no problem removing the battery and like you said easier than welding up the hood and two fenders into a pivoting unit. No wiring to mess with either! The only thing that I noticed about doing the hood this way is you can't just open the hood and walk away. Any wind at all might cause the hood to slam closed. The two cables keep it attached fine w/o wind.
Not sure about the hydraulic struts though. Jack Orkin and I tried to install a set on his 74 car and we were never able to get them to work correctly. The kind he bought were too strong for the hood and would have bent it if we had tried to close the hood. Let us know how your strut solution would work on a Midget.
thnx

Pics, pics pics!

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   USA
In the first photo, the front battering rams for the rubber bumper mounts seem to be visible inside the radiator/grille opening.
Could be a collection of parts & pieces?
Got a VIN number?
Engine pics?
Good Luck smileys with beer

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 04:46 PM by dlrhine.

ice Avatar
Rick, not sure with a little notching the grill that you couldn't use it as well. I was going for the open look anyways.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yankeedriver Avatar
I'm realizing to my dismay that we may have unintentionally highjacked Ron's thread on his new car.

Ron, I am truly sorry.

Gentlemen, I'll start another thread on a reverse-opening bonnet this weekend. Might as well do it now, while I've got the bonnet off to R&R the engine for the serpentine belt-drive upgrade.

Joel

Member Services:
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3718027 by ice Joel, yep no problem removing the battery and like you said easier than welding up the hood and two fenders into a pivoting unit. No wiring to mess with either! The only thing that I noticed about doing the hood this way is you can't just open the hood and walk away. Any wind at all might cause the hood to slam closed. The two cables keep it attached fine w/o wind.
thnx

Pics, pics pics!

Ice Man - will do, but on a new thread per the above post.

Ron - did someone mention "One Piece at a Time" by Johnny Cash? As The Man in Black famously said about his own mechanical mutt, "...it's gonna drive everybody wild; 'cause you know I'll have the only one around." Or words to that effect. Bottom line is, someone added parts to make up a unique Spridget, and there's nothing wrong with that! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Joel

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster