1976 Midget clutch master cylinder

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

snaponbob Bob Buxbaum
Lees Summit, MO, USA   USA
I want to remove the original clutch master cylinder. It appears to be impossible. The right side nut is easy to get off. However, I see absolutely no viable method to remove the left side nut. There is no room to get a socket in there, and a wrench can not be used either. It seems that the studs were tack welded AFTER the nuts were secured.

Who has an answer?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   USA
Yep, it's a PITA!
I've removed & installed mine a couple times now.
It helped me to remove the pedal box mounting bolts to give a few more angles of attack.
I also ground down some wrenches & sockets to fit those close clearances.
1/4 inch drive sockets worked best for me.
Difficult, sure, but very doable...
Good Luck

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

dimini Avatar
dimini Don Ipock
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
Yep, I’ve been there, too. With the OEM Lockheed MC, it’s actually easier to remove the 8 fasteners holding down the pedal box and lift up the whole unit, including pedals, to gain access to the difficult nut. If you replace it with a current Taiwanese-made MC, it will be easier to manage as the plastic reservoir of the current 3rd party MC sits on top, and doesn’t block the reach of a wrench on the more difficult fastener.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
snaponbob Bob Buxbaum
Thanks for the fast responses. After I posted the question, I took another look at the situation. That gave me some more insight, and a Google search provided answers such as those above.

Thanks again.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Is your username "snaponbob" because you are a Snap On dealer?
I use a 1/4" drive with a wiggle socket and extension. Pretty easy once you find the right length extension.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

edforrest Avatar
edforrest Ed Forrest
Atlanta Metro, USA   USA
While we are on this subject...

What has been used (other than $$$$$ Tilton) as a universal brake and clutch master? I see several units...would require new mounting points...but it's just metal!!

Thanks, ed

snaponbob Bob Buxbaum
In reply to # 3716477 by trevorwj Is your username "snaponbob" because you are a Snap On dealer?
I use a 1/4" drive with a wiggle socket and extension. Pretty easy once you find the right length extension.

I was for nearly 20 years. I didn't keep any of those sockets, but I should have. That said, If you say it works, okay. But, while I was thinking I wish I had them, it's hard to imagine it would work. But, if say it would, I guess it would !!

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
3/8 drive wiggle extension and no problem, no sweat for me but I've done this for a little while.

snaponbob Bob Buxbaum
In reply to # 3716862 by GeorgeOhr 3/8 drive wiggle extension and no problem, no sweat for me but I've done this for a little while.

With the original clutch master cylinder? At 68, I have spun wrenches ALL my life, and spent 20 of those years SELLING those tools with Snap-On. Given that a 1/4" drive socket can NOT get in there, a 3/8" drive NEVER will. NOT a matter of a flex, just a matter of physics. With an aftermarket, NO problem.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
A 1/4" drive wiggle socket and extension is what I have used. Maybe your MC is different? Can you post a picture?

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3716979 by trevorwj A 1/4" drive wiggle socket and extension is what I have used. Maybe your MC is different? Can you post a picture?

Yeah, no problem with mine; no idea if it was the original or not.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 MG TF

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links