Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

philbroad Avatar
philbroad Phil Broad
budleigh salterton, Devon, UK   GBR
Before I purchase a new set of springs can you good people confirm the relationship between spring length and actual ride height, I was under the impression that a 1" shorter spring would give a 2" drop 1:2 if you will. The rubber bumpers have been removed and fibreglass wings installed, struggling to fit under the garage door on standard springssmiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dimini Avatar
dimini Don Ipock
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
I replaced the front and rear original factory springs on my 1978 Midget 1500 10 months ago and I wanted to drop the ride height down to "normal pre-'75" midget right height.

It's my understanding that the US-spec 1500 Midgets sit 1" higher than the earlier 1275 Midgets. Because of this, I bought springs from Victoria British (part #5-5081 fronts, 5-5585 rear leaf) to fit the 1275 car. Additionally, I chose the front coil spring that is described in the catalog as "1-inch lowering spring for 1275 model". I also bought the rear leaf lowering blocks, but did not need to use them.

My car now rides nice and low--like the early Midget 1275s I've seen and it handles well. I suppose the tech geeks might argue that I'm an idiot for using springs designed for the lighter weight 1275 car on my "heavy-weight" rubber bumper sled, but what the Heck? It drives and handles well and the desired ride height was accomplished. Done deal for me. Hope this helps!

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Are you buying drop springs? Most times the drop given is for the ride height. If your looking at springs that measure shorter then it gets a little more complicated. You would need to know all the spring's data and other such information to figure out which one would give you the needed drop and still maintain the proper spring rate. There are plenty of articles on the web on figuring that part out. But nothing has simple has a 1:2 ratio type thing.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 06:04 PM by 76lucas.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 MG MGB MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links