AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

75 midget brake trouble
  This topic is about my 1975 MG Midget 1500
Racerx999 Avatar
Racerx999 Jim Vickers
Corydon, IN, USA   USA
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Mini Cobra"
I went to drive my 75 Midget for the first time since parking it 4 months ago. The brake pedal went to the floor. I checked the brake fluid level and the front half of the reservoir was empty. I filled it and proceeded to pump the brake pedal. After 5 min. of pumping I could not get any pedal at all. The brake fluid remained full and did not pump out someplace like I supposed would happen if there is a leaking cylinder or brake line.
So, did the master cylinder seal go dry once the fluid leaked out and now I it wont develop pressure because the fluid is pumping around the piston and seal? Please post your thoughts , Ideas and suggestions. I hate having a car sit a few months and develop problems while it is sitting. Thanks in advance.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I'd guess the rear wheel cylinder developed a leak. You'll need to identify the leak, repair/replace the faulty part and bleed the air out of the system. It won't build pressure if it can draw air back up the line.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
Trevor X2. You won't build pressure as long as there is air in the lines. Pumping the brakes just compresses the air. But the fluid wouldn't have leaked out unless a brake cylinder is leaking. Look for a wet spot down the side of a tire or on the floor. Once you find the culprit you can change out the component and bleed the air out of the lines.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster