AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

grichn Avatar
grichn Richard nicholson
crevillent, alicante, Spain   ESP
1976 MG J-Type Midget "The Shed"
The seats were in a terrible condition. Cleaned them with soap and water and then stripped the covers. The webbing on the driver's side were rotten, fell to bits in my hand, passenger side was OK.

Put some new foam cushion in the passenger side - no problem.

I decided to replace the webbing on the driver's side with a sheet of 1 mm steel that I had available. Cut it to size, cleaned and painted: drilled fixing holes to match the webbing holes: pop riveted sheet in place. I've done this before and the difference is amazing: takes 2 hours. Now I can see the wings, (I'm vertically challenged) very comfortable, will never sag. Cost beans. See the pic.

Took off the air inlet tube and valve and replaced with a speaker grille. Can't decide whether or not to paint it black.

Tomorrow I am measuring up to replace the bonnet pull cable with a front operated lever - get rid of another ugly, sticky problem.....

Richard in sunny Spain - windy as hell today and only 19 C.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
mg pics 006.jpg    58.7 KB
mg pics 006.jpg

parts for sale 012.jpg    42.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
We'll ASS-ume you are not sitting directly on the metal. Quick question, if it is only 19 degrees Celsius don't you want your heater to work?

nassau66 Larry Cross
Browns Mills, NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 3714756 by grichn ...Tomorrow I am measuring up to replace the bonnet pull cable with a front operated lever - get rid of another ugly, sticky problem.....

If you go with a lever, please follow up with some pictures. I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with.

I thought about going with a lever, but I ended up severely shortening the cable and mounting the pull knob in the wheel well.

Good luck with your project.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster