AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Playa Del Rey, CA, USA   USA
Hi all,
Short version is I did all new everything and set drums to slight drag like in the old days. After doing a gravity & Mity Vac bleed I still had three good pumps with my hand to get solid pressure.
Being a certified idiot, I then released the parking brake and started over. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Same - same.
Ah HA ! [Checks the forums].spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Buy Speed Bleeders and install this evening.
Fill/pump/fill/pump in standard circuit Rt Rear, L Rear, Rt Fr & L Fr.
Still squishy same - same.
Do again - with iphone on video & watch video - no bubbles.
Memory kicks in from Formula Car days that the pedals have an adjustment.sleepy
So I searched here for another 30 minutes to see what the "base line" pedal adjustments should be... Photo is mine [dribble DOT 4 does remove paint nicely]
Anyone have a good image of their functional setting?
I'd sure like to get to 1/2 " deflection at top of pedal travel.

61 Midget Mk 1 GAN1L/294*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-09 08:30 PM by Skeezix.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_6232.JPG    37.9 KB
IMG_6232.JPG

IMG_6215.JPG    53.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image1.jpeg    48.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Hi Rob. I did the same thing as you and added the speed bleeders all around and at the slave as well. Got them from Robert Kirk on here. My '61 brakes were recently adjusted by the guy who figured out my no clutch issue. I haven't picked up the car yet, so I'll text him for a pic showing the pedal box clevis positions. Stand by.

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Thanks - I did a long an Line off the slave to make it easier to reach.
My clutch is also stuck so I’m getting brakes sorted 100% then I’ll try the various tips here

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
It is in the Shop Manual. I have looked it up before. Same as on the MGA. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Member Services:
Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Not having an MGA ( I wish ) I’ll have to hope for a sharing moment .

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Haven't heard back from the mechanic yet Rob.

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
No worries not like I have to drive today
Just did a bleed again at the rear and still get what feels like air but no bubbles in to the bleed bottles no sign of leaks at fittings and no bubbles in resivour (sp?)
Here is a better shot of Clevis-pedal pushrod.

Attachments:
16AE7F8C-79FF-41B6-B15B-4DC2AB0B9EAF.jpeg    70.6 KB
16AE7F8C-79FF-41B6-B15B-4DC2AB0B9EAF.jpeg

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q0naHfThUVhYJaGE3

I admit I enjoy using the iPhone to film when working alone - assuming this link works here is the reservoir & pushrod travel that seems a little long.

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
ROB: Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like the Pin and Clevis are not centered on the Pedal part. This usually indicates, worn out pin or elongated pedal or clevis hole. It only take about an 1/8" or less of play to make bleeding difficult. ?? Have you removed the Pin and Looked over those parts.??? They don't look too clean or new. Are you working with old pieces. ????? Just Curious ??confused smiley

Member Services:
Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Good point - I'll yank the clevis and eyeball. There is a LOT of travel mechanically and yah the MC was rebuilt by Roadstar Nelson in about '95 and bagged; unsealed last year. Brake fluid spills while filling and ocean air make it look a lot worse than it is.

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
ROB: CAUTION, CAUTION, CAUTION. If that car's hydraulics were replaced or rebuild by "ROADSTAR NELSON", well they did go out of business in about 1995. They OVERBORED that type of master cylinder and fit their OWN new pistons and seals. You CANNOT rebuild it with current repair kits. Nothing will fit. JUST FYI I used to be one of their suppliers. They made a quality product, but it made down the road repairs impossible. SOO, if that cylinder needs a rebuild, WELL ?????? smileys with beer

Member Services:
Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Thanks
I’ll replace when the time comes
Moss usually has a sale & I can always go AP if necessary

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Pretty sure your not supposed to have air popping up like that! Does the clutch side do the same thing? Patrick should be sending the pic soon. I might have to text it to you. I'll PM you when I get the pic.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Rob, PM sent.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Agree with Joe....sort the pedal play and replace the oddball springs and your brake action will feel lots better.

Kurt

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster