AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dogeddie Avatar
dogeddie Silver Member Andy L
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
WOOT!! smileys with beer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Fixed?

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3715029 by NOHOME Fixed?

No, but now I have high hopes, and options! Right now getting a dirtbike ready to sell and will get back to the car this weekend.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
I moved the stalk as far as I could, maybe 1/8" toward the front of the car. I also shaved the cowl lip, but in hindsight, I think that was unnecessary, as it was rubbing on the cowl, not the lip. Oh well. I did not re install the two screws that attach the cowl to the dash. They are attached to a plate welded to the shaft, so if i gained anything from moving the stalk - they would not line up anymore as they are welded down. That's ok because trying to get those 2 screws in or out is pure hell. I am happy to report that we are torqued and not rubbing! drinking smiley Thank you for all the great suggestions!!

Lets just say I am tooling down the road and the shear pins were in fact sheared as well. Would I be able to sense that?

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
NO: If they are sheared, ???? The wheel may start to rub again, or the wheel will come toward you a little farther. It will NOT completely fail. thumbs up

Member Services:
dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
thanks Joe

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
ANDY< A lot of people kind of "Pull Back" on the wheel as they corner. I would avoid that for awhile until you know all is good.
Also, you can paint a "Bench Mark" where the two pieces slide together so you can check it after about a week. thumbs up

Member Services:
sbarner Stephen Barner
Bolton, VT, USA   USA
On my '77, the ignition switch is so close to the dash that it's a pain to get the key in and out, and the key almost contacts the dash when turning--to the point that the vinyl is worn through. This thread is making me wonder if that's normal for these. Also, what's that square hole through the column housing for?

Attachments:
77MidgetIgnitionSwitch.jpg    63.6 KB
77MidgetIgnitionSwitch.jpg

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
My '75 doesn't have that square hole on the cowl. My lights and hazards are square/rectangular; but on the dash.

sbarner Stephen Barner
Bolton, VT, USA   USA
The hazard switch was originally on the console on this car. This detail is not commonly seen in most photos I've found online, but I'm starting to think that the rectangular holes were to provide a possible location for the hazard switch when no console was fitted. They were probably plugged with a blanking plate when unused and these have gotten lost over the years. The console was ratty and out of the car, so I think I'll see if the hazard switch will fit in these holes and relocate it there.

I'll probably have to drop the column to see what's going on with it. It would make sense that if it collapses, the whole thing would move toward the dash, not just the shaft. It wouldn't move very far in a crash if that was the case, and that's the whole point of a collapsible steering column.

--SB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster