steering wheel rubs on cowl

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
A measurement that would be easy to make and to compare with a car that is right would be from the collapsible sleeve to end at the steering rack. That will tell you if anything has moved.

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dogeddie Avatar
dogeddie Silver Member Andy L
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3714017 by S1 Elan A measurement that would be easy to make and to compare with a car that is right would be from the collapsible sleeve to end at the steering rack. That will tell you if anything has moved.

Kurt

That's a good idea - I will check after work tonight

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Joseph! Is that a master cylinder leak producing a brake fluid puddle under your pedals? Or just water? Love your dash configuration.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I took those picture right after I washed out the engine compartment. Getting ready for last years car show. Thanks. smileys with beer

Member Services:
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
DAVID: Sorry about that, I went back and looked at that picture again, That is a Shadow. BUT, I always get a little water down there when I hose out the engine bay. I took a guess until I took a closer look. IF That was Brake Fluid, it would be a couple of inched deep ??Cheerssmileys with beer

Member Services:
dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3714126 by littlecars Joseph! Is that a master cylinder leak producing a brake fluid puddle under your pedals? Or just water? Love your dash configuration.

Maybe Joe has really sweaty feet grinning smiley

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
It is exactly 11" between the arrows. See photos attached. How do I get my photos to stop turning when post them? Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 05:41 PM by dogeddie.

Attachments:
IMG_0061.JPG    40.7 KB
IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG    43.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but any chance I could sweet talk anyone into measuring their car as a comparison? I don't know anyone with a Midget - car or otherwise. Thanks alot!

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Andy, looks like mine is about 10 5/8" which includes about 1/4" showing on the splines. Also, the upper looks pretty much like yours.

Attachments:
IMG_20180409_213632-2024x1518.jpg    39.1 KB
IMG_20180409_213632-2024x1518.jpg

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Thanks Jack. That's not what I expected. I figured you would have more like 11 1/2" assuming mine dropped 1/2". Maybe it didn't drop then?

What do you mean by 1/4" showing on the splines? Thanks again.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Dog, this has all been speculation by us forum participants. You opened a can of worms that may not have needed a can opener. How about marking the back of the wheel with chalk or a grease pencil and see where it rubs on the plastic cowl. Then.......

wait for it ...

wait for it ...

Hacksaw the edges that are proud and start driving the car!!!hot smiley

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3714861 by littlecars Dog, this has all been speculation by us forum participants. You opened a can of worms that may not have needed a can opener. How about marking the back of the wheel with chalk or a grease pencil and see where it rubs on the plastic cowl. Then.......

wait for it ...

wait for it ...

Hacksaw the edges that are proud and start driving the car!!!hot smiley

It's getting to that. It's just odd that it wasn't like that before, and now I can't figure out why. Might be Dremel time....
I suppose I was more concerned that the car would be unsafe if the pins were sheared

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
The cowl position seems to be dictated by the stalk location. The stalks clamp a ring around the column. Is it possible that the stalks have migrated towards the driver during this exercise? I am assuming that 1/8" might be all that we are looking for here?

Is there ANY gap between the cowl and the dash padding tho shove the stalks and cowl forward?

Pete

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Pete - good idea. I will take a look. Thank you!

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
I've had the stalks and the ring that holds them move TOWARD the dash on a few 72-79 parts cars. On my current project 74 I bump my knuckles on the dash when turning the key. I think Pete is right if there is a way to move the stalk bundle away from you, ya might be good to go!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster